1990 FS GMC Jimmy

All you need to know.

Installed a set of marker lights on my '85 blazer. I did this by standing on the hood to do the work. I had no problems installing them.

Removed them from the K5 when I got my new FS Jimmy.

Go to install them on PapaSmurf. Needless to say the paint on papa is allot better, so I got get a fleece blanket and throw that over the hood. Get all my tools up there - and install the lights.

I noticed the next day my hood looks like riverdance was practicing on it.

My two thoughts;

1: From 85 to 90 chevy/gm changed the gauge of their sheet metal. 2: After market hood.

What do you guys think?

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

I think it was a truly dumbass move to stand on your hood.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I second that one... reminds me of the time I walked across the roof of my '86 escort back in HS, but i digress.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

First one I didn't care about, second time I figured if it didn't hurt the first one... But I guess no one has a guess.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

A guess?! Did someone say guess?! :-)

Actually, I do have a guess. Perhaps the hood wasn't as good structurally as your old one was or didn't have as many supporting features on the inside?

Oh and then there's Murphy's Law or some kind of variant...just because it worked the first time doesn't mean it will work the second time, or when you are depending upon it do so!

Finally, there could have been sheet metal variances. You might think that a late model truck should be better as seemingly people got tired of their trucks just rusting away...but maybe not...or maybe some old metal was used.

All food for thought or at least interesting theories/guesses.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

With my '85 I used to just jump up on the hood/cowl to wash to roof or the windshield. Just walked around up there without a care. This I got up on the hood, and sprawled my out/kneeled to spread my weight and tried to move as little as possible. I think this truck went through a fairly serious restoration recently (I wasn't told that it was...) and this is one of the after-market pieces.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

The sheet metal is thinner KJ.

Doc

structurally

Reply to
"Doc"

I realize this. Trying to decide why.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Lower weight = better fuel economy = lower emissions. Blame EPA.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

= '85 chevy hood on '90 GMC Oh well, just a MACCO paint job anyways. Now I feel like I can treat it like a truck.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ