1991 GMC ....Transmission Trouble

So far it hasn't calved, but this is what's going on and maybe you can give some idea of the problem.

It's a 1991 GMC Sierra 1500 with the fuel injected 305.

Has a four speed (3 speed with overdrive) automatic transmission.

When in overdrive and not necessarily under a load (at highway speed), the truck jerks/jumps intermittently and not often.

This is not engine related.

Any idea's?

Reply to
Stanky

. . === === (Stanky) writes in......

So far it hasn't calved, but this is what's going on and maybe you can give some idea of the problem.

It's a 1991 GMC Sierra 1500 with the fuel injected 305.

Has a four speed (3 speed with overdrive) automatic transmission.

When in overdrive and not necessarily under a load (at highway speed), the truck jerks/jumps intermittently and not often.

This is not engine related.

Any idea's? ============== ==============

ideas?

u-joints differential ignition (unless you consider that "eng related) fuel system ECU vehical wiring transmission

marshmonster ~would suggest a bit more pinpoint symptom description......in order to obtain a bit more pinpoint diagnosis~

===== =====

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I would take it in and have the trans pan dropped and see if there are some large metal shavings, now would be the time to overhaul and replace an overdrive band before it totally breaks. Right now you are looking at $300 or less if it is in fact a tranny problem, let it go kaput and it will be closer to $1k to rebuild. Worst thing that can happen is you get a new filter and trans fluid. If you do not know a reputable trans shop, I would check the BBB for negative feedback prior to taking my car into a shop.

Reply to
TM

It's super easy to pull a tranny pan on these trucks....

~KJ/TLGM (Juz mezzy)

Reply to
KJ

For a normal person, I'm sure it is. I have had a five level spinal fusion on my back in the last six months and I always suggest the easy way out for all, if a person chooses to take a look on their own, then that is awesome. I just don't want to suggest something and then have someone get in over their head.

Have a happy :-)

TM

Reply to
TM

I wasn't sayin he SHOULD just that it was easy. It's MESSY but easy. Spinal fusion's suck... how did you get all five done at once? I have a friend who needs 5 done but they fuse two together every five years (so I think a 20 year procedure)

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ