2010 Forester - Transmission Shifting + Body Squeaks and Rattles

I have a 2010 Forester with an automatic transmission. The vehicle has been good for the first 60,000 km. Lately I am noticing that the transmission seems to be sluggish when I am just moving along in slow traffic. It almost seems as if it is not changing gear properly and I can feel a vibration in the vehicle. When the transmission downshifts all is fine. The dealer has changed the fluid once, about 4,000 km ago.

I also notice a number of annoying squeaks and rattles. The worst seems to be coming from the area of the glove box. This noise goes away when the interior warms up but it is very annoying until then. I also have another squeak in the headliner near the rear hatch. This only occurs when the road is somewhat rough - potholes, curbs, etc. The dealer attempted to repair about 20,000 km ago and it is coming back again.

Anyone else have these kinds of trouble?

Reply to
Wiess

All the people who don't bother changing the automatic transaxle fluid I suppose though runing slushbox in a year or two is an accomplishment.

Squeaks and rattles are normal for a subaru. You have just discovered why some people pay a premium for the big 3 in germany.

Reply to
AD

All scheduled maintenance has been performed at the dealer. The last time it was in for service they were notified of the problem. They had received a service bulletin about this vehicle which required a transmission flush. This did not improve the problem.

I also have a 2005 Honda CRV which we have driven 240,000 km. We had a road trip this past weekend and took the CRV on a 1600 km journey. Not a squeak or a problem, more comfortable on the highway as well. The five speed automatic is great! I think I know what manufacturer I will purchase from in the future. We had four previous Hondas and decided to try the Subaru.

Reply to
Wiess

A $100 question is: were you physically present when the transmission pan was removed and the gasked was (hopefully) changed and transmission was refilled with the new transmission fluid?

Reply to
AD

intenance has been performed at the dealer. =A0The last

No need to answer that one, hopefully it will be during the next service appointment.

Which manufacturers do you consider the 'big three'.

Reply to
Wiess

It seem Wiess is not familiar with Subarus.

1st. The rattles are not normal, and no, no problems here so far. 2nd. No need to remove the oil pan when changing the oil in this subaru tranny. It has an external replaceable oil filter.

Yes, some people go and buy cars from the big 3 in germany... but wonder why!! They are close to the bottom of the reliability lists... Mercedes with electrical problems, BMW with the the complex controls and poor radio reception, overall poor reliability and Audi and VW with their engines burning oil prematurely? They look good, drive awesome and... oh yes... the name.

As for the symptoms... have you checked the tire air pressure? Because of the awd, a low tire could cause vibrations.

What k> I have a 2010 Forester with an automatic transmission. The vehicle

Reply to
AS

maintenance has been performed at the dealer. =A0The last

bmw-Audi-mercedes

Reply to
AD

they do not rattle.

Reply to
AD

As stated, this is my first Subaru and so far it has convinced me to go back to Honda. The rattles, squeaks, noisy brakes, and now the transmission - all in the first 60,000 km!! I have no idea if the transmission pan needs to be removed, I rely on the dealers to have that knowledge.

I do a mix of highway and city - maybe a 40/60 split. I check the air pressure regularly and that is fine. The problem occurred with my winter tires as well as summer tires so I can rule out tires.

Reply to
Wiess

Were the winter tires put to rotate in the wrong direction? Even tires that are not directional, once they have been used, they should rotate in the same direction afterwards.

I made a mistake, I meant to say AD does not know subarus, brain fart typed Wiess.

Wiess wrote:

Reply to
AS

Why?

Partially correct. I had two but none with an automatic and no forresters. apparently there is indeed no need to remove the transmission pan

I do not know if transmission flush will fix Weiss' problem, but transmission servicing seems like the cheapest way to start as it has to be done anyway

Reply to
AD