2000 Chevy Silverado Alarm help please

Hello, I recently acquired a 2000 Chevy 1500 Silverado. The alarm sets itself like 20 seconds after you close the door. I have a remote with a lock and unlock button and a red button to sound the alarm. There is also another remote with a black button which turns on and off the alarm and also a small green button which I don;t know what it does. I want to turn the alram off so it doesnt set itself automatically. This thing is driving me nuts. There is no owners manual in the truck either. Any help is much appreciated..... Mike

Reply to
Lumpy

It sounds like the first remote you described is the factory OEM and the second is an aftermarket alarm. If there is no name on the alarm remote, try a Best Buy, Circuit City, car stereo shop or something similar to see if they can identify the alarm brand and model. Then, surf the web to find the book.

Good luck,

Steve M. in CA.

Reply to
Steve M. in CA.

I can disconnect the non factory alarm by removing the ground wire. But the factory alarm still went off. Is there a way to disarm the factory one so it doesnt set automatically? Thanks for your help....Mike

Reply to
Lumpy

Look here for a manual.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Mike -

It looks from I can get off the web that this is a problem with SOME 1500's. Your best bet is to take it to a shop that does alarm installs. One comment I found was tied in with the door switches being faulty, but could not get much more info than that.

Good luck, Steve M. in CA.

Reply to
Steve M. in CA.

It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:25:59 -0800 or thereabouts, Lumpy wrote the following intercepted missive:

On my aftermarket, the auto-enable feature is programmed in before install, using god-knows-what -- jumpers or whatnot. Better have the dealer reprogram it for you. You'll want the auto-enable feature disabled.

CUL8r -- R*Horse

-- Lesson #1 - do not expect sane, rational behaviour from someone who dives.

Reply to
Rockinghorse Winner

Just pull the fuse out that runs the alarm.

Reply to
Joe Sprawling

Normally doing that and the car won't start! Best thing to do is take it to a Alarm shop that knows what it's doing and either get the garbage removed. Removed and replaced, or fixed if possible or worth it.

Reply to
JBDragon