2001 S10 2.2 - idling fast - is this normal?

Anyone seen this?

I have an S10 (2001, 2.2 4 cyl, manual, 20K miles) that intermittently develops a fast idle condition when warmed up:

  1. Normally, it idles at ~950 RPM, ~1100 RPM with air on.

  1. But, every other day or so after being driven for a while , the idle speeds up to ~1050 RPM when air is turned off, ~1400 RPM with air on.

  2. Once the idle jumps up, it maintains it no matter what I do.

  1. It does not seem to affect drivability, engine temp shows normal, no engine lights come on.

  2. If I turn the engine off and then immediately restart, idle speed returns to normal.

  1. Seems this happens more on hot days - the symptom started this summer - maybe coincidence.

  2. Not sure if this is related, but one time after being stopped at a light, I put my foot on the gas to take off and nothing happened to the engine speed - it would just run at idle speed. I stopped the engine and restarted, and all was well.

Except for the last thing (that only happened once), is it possible that this is normal operation to help the cooling? Does this seem like a flakey throttle position sensor? As far as getting warranty service, am I wasting my time talking with the dealer until it breaks totally? Any suggestions?

Regard, Rimara.

Reply to
Rimara