2004 Silverado

Ive noticed that when I start my truck the temperature jumps to 210 right off the bat. The other day I noticed that temp was on 240ish so I parked the truck got back in next morning & started it. Temp jumped to 210 again. Never got the over heating message on dash. Water pump is circulating. Plenty of water in radiator. No leaks anywhere? Any ideas?

Reply to
CHROME

Please somebody....any ideas?

Reply to
CHROME

Bad sending unit, connection, or gauge.

Reply to
[SMF]

My money would be on a stepper motor fault on the gauge. There's a major issue with all the '03-04 full size truck/SUV models. Thousands have bad stepper motors in the cluster. Usually it's the speedo or tach that goes first, but any can go due to the same problem. The good news is that the entire cluster will be swapped out with a new one at any GM dealer as it's covered by a 7 year / 70,000 mile warranty by GM. They are usually pretty forgiving if you're somewhat over on the miles. My '04 Avalanche was replaced 2 years back. I know of 6 others with '03-04 GM trucks replaced, 2 of which were '03 models at 75,000 and 77,000 respectively.

03-04 GMT800 07187 - Special Coverage Adjustment/Instrument Cluster
Reply to
Augustus

Just a shot in the dark but some of the Chevy trucks had bad "motors" in the gauges and Chevy was replacing them for free. Perhaps yours is one of them and the gauge is bad.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Please somebody....any ideas?

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4 X 4 with a 5.3T engine. Although I've never experienced your specific problem, as a GM parts professional I have seen this symptom diagnosed and the standard fix is usually to purchase an exchange I/P cluster. Because the I/P cluster is a calibrated item, GM does not authorize it's dealership personnel to repair anything inside the cluster. The cluster must be sent to an authorized facility for repair. Usually, an exchange cluster is available and can be shipped to an authorized repair facility while you are still driving your vehicle. When the cluster arrives, the customer is called to have the repair finished. After the repair is complete, your old cluster is returned to the repair facility and will be thoroughly tested and repaired after which it will become an exchange unit.

As usual, advise is worth exactly what you pay for it (nothing in this case). If you want it fixed right the first time, take it to a shop that can properly diagnose it. I've worked in a dealership parts department since 1973. There is a saying that goes like this: Take it to a dealer and you have recourse if it doesn't get fixed correctly the first time; take it anywhere else and you're likely to have intercourse. Buyer beware of cheap fixes!

There are many, many independent repair facilities which are reputable and stand behind their work and there are dealerships that only look at the bottom line and want to charge you every time regardless of whether it is a re-check on them. I've seen both sides many times. I will keep my former employers anonymous, but suffice it to say that the greediest and least trusting GM dealer I ever worked for was a huge chain store with dealerships in multiple states. And they don't only have no sympathy for a customer's situation, they treated their employees with the same (if not worse) disdain. That chain store is now out of business. Let your imagination run wild.

Currently, I am the parts manager of a Suzuki automotive dealership.

Reply to
Steve

Two hours later, and you are desperate because you think you're being ignored? Did I read that right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ok Ive bn in touch with dealership....They gonna fix it. I agreed to pay for just the labor $135. Hell yeah!!

Reply to
CHROME