Vauxhall Combo 1.7d overheated

Hi is there anyone who can help. I have just got a vauxhall combo van which is a 1.7 diesel on a N reg, i have just got towed home as it got very hot and cut out, the rac bloke said head gasket straight away, i just want to find out if this will be worth doing. I have also been told it is a isuzu Engine not that this means anything to me . Please help. Thanks Keith.

Reply to
keith

it may well be cheaper to buy another van if it is a head problem, think 500 quid up to have a garage do it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have managed to get the van to start again, and seems to run fine. but i have noticed that the water in the filler tank is bubbling yet the temperature gauge is reading cold, i have checked the temp gauge is working and the water pump and thermostat are also fine and it also has just had new radiator,am i just kidding myself thinking its a blocked pipe in the water system or is it going to be a head off job Anyone with any ideas please help. Thanks Keith

Reply to
keith

When i had a head problem with the same engine, i was told to hope that the head was okay as they were getting rare - and that was a couple of years ago. The bloke at the engineers told me that the engine was used in forklift trucks, but im not sure about that, you may wish to persue it though.

Why did it overheat? The electric fan on mine died, but i noticed before it boiled over.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

If the waters bubbling then it's almost certainly lost the HG. It's not too bad a job if you're up for doing it yourself but if possible check the heads not warped or cracked before you buy th bits.

Reply to
Duncan Wood