2004 Silverado - "Driver Door Ajar"

This evening shortly after I left home the "Driver Door Ajar" message was displayed, accompanied by the ringing of a warning bell, and the
interior lights came on for a few seconds. This happens intermittently while I'm driving the truck. Sometimes the "Driver Door Ajar" message and the interior lights will stay on for a couple minutes, then go off. I made sure the door was closed properly, but to no avail.
I suspected that the "door open" switch had failed, but I cannot find a switch that detects whether the door is open or closed. How does the truck know whether that door is open or closed?
One of the other symptoms of this problem is that a few minutes after I shut down the truck & lock it up, the alarm will sound. Pressing the little red button on the remote will shut that off, but the interior lights stay on.
How can I disable this so it won't drain the battery during the night tonight?
--Steve

========= ========= Unhook the negative battery cable.
???
:)
~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

I thought of that, but is there a less extreme way to do it?
--Steve

======== ========
Extreme??????
wow
anywhoooooo.........
I can no longer be of ANY assistance to you I'm afraid.
Because if you thought that was extreme, you're liable to faint,fall, hit yer head, and kill yerself over the next suggestion.
And......I don't want that on my conscience.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal............jeez......todays techs........guess the snapon dudes gonna be sell'n them "white" mecanix gloves in a couple years~ ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

The good news is that the inside lights went off after several minutes. I'll leave it alone, and if it does drain the battery somehow I get to call AAA in the morning. :-)
--Steve
======== ========

======== ========
sounds extreme
~:~ mm ~takes a toke~ ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

Only extreme because I'm lazy, and it's bloody cold outside. One of my hobbies in years gone by was building Volkswagens from salvaged parts, so I can handle the job (disconnecting the battery cable, that is). But it looks like it's not an issue anyway.
Probly should lay off the weed, dude!
--Steve
Steve wrote:

Look at the end panel of the dash. Should be a plastic finger sticking out. That's the switch actuator. Also look at the door panel for the plastic bumper that hits the switch.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve W. wrote:

I looked there 'cuz my son's 2001 Yukon had it there. But my Silverado doesn't.
--Steve
Steve wrote:

Yeah I made a mistake. Sorry. The 03-04 have a switch incorporated into the latch assembly. Had to look at a newer crash book to find it. You have to pull the door panel and take off the vapor barrier to get to it. Not real hard just a PIA. You might try lubing the latch but from the way the switch attaches it probably won't help much.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:08:03 -0800, Steve wrote:

Does your Silver have battery rundown protection?
Meat Plow wrote:

Don't know. I bought it used in April.
--Steve
Steve wrote:

The problem has been fixed. Thanks for the help & suggestions! My son came over this morning and we tried some diagnostic things: Tried disconnecting the battery first, but no joy. Then we disconnected each of the THREE electrical connectors (one at a time) that go to the latch assembly in the driver's door, and identified the one that controls the "Driver Door Ajar" thing. Took a test drive to verify that the problem did not occur with that connector disconnected, then went to the Chevy dealership to get a replacement latch assembly. Replaced the part, and she's good as new. :-)
--Steve
replying to Steve, Jason78 wrote: Did replace the whole drivers side wwitch?