2004 Silverado - "Driver Door Ajar"

This evening shortly after I left home the "Driver Door Ajar" message was displayed, accompanied by the ringing of a warning bell, and the interior lights came on for a few seconds. This happens intermittently while I'm driving the truck. Sometimes the "Driver Door Ajar" message and the interior lights will stay on for a couple minutes, then go off. I made sure the door was closed properly, but to no avail.

I suspected that the "door open" switch had failed, but I cannot find a switch that detects whether the door is open or closed. How does the truck know whether that door is open or closed?

One of the other symptoms of this problem is that a few minutes after I shut down the truck & lock it up, the alarm will sound. Pressing the little red button on the remote will shut that off, but the interior lights stay on.

How can I disable this so it won't drain the battery during the night tonight?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Unhook the negative battery cable.

???

:)

~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I thought of that, but is there a less extreme way to do it?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

The good news is that the inside lights went off after several minutes. I'll leave it alone, and if it does drain the battery somehow I get to call AAA in the morning. :-)

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Extreme??????

wow

anywhoooooo.........

I can no longer be of ANY assistance to you I'm afraid.

Because if you thought that was extreme, you're liable to faint,fall, hit yer head, and kill yerself over the next suggestion.

And......I don't want that on my conscience.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal............jeez......todays techs........guess the snapon dudes gonna be sell'n them "white" mecanix gloves in a couple years~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

sounds extreme

~:~ mm ~takes a toke~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Only extreme because I'm lazy, and it's bloody cold outside. One of my hobbies in years gone by was building Volkswagens from salvaged parts, so I can handle the job (disconnecting the battery cable, that is). But it looks like it's not an issue anyway.

Probly should lay off the weed, dude!

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Look at the end panel of the dash. Should be a plastic finger sticking out. That's the switch actuator. Also look at the door panel for the plastic bumper that hits the switch.

Reply to
Steve W.

I really can't help other than letting you know that the switch is in the latch mechanism on the door. Good Luck

I thought the negative cable disconnect was unnecessary (extreme) also.

JAW

Reply to
JAW

Does your Silver have battery rundown protection?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I looked there 'cuz my son's 2001 Yukon had it there. But my Silverado doesn't.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Don't know. I bought it used in April.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yeah I made a mistake. Sorry. The 03-04 have a switch incorporated into the latch assembly. Had to look at a newer crash book to find it. You have to pull the door panel and take off the vapor barrier to get to it. Not real hard just a PIA. You might try lubing the latch but from the way the switch attaches it probably won't help much.

Reply to
Steve W.

The problem has been fixed. Thanks for the help & suggestions! My son came over this morning and we tried some diagnostic things: Tried disconnecting the battery first, but no joy. Then we disconnected each of the THREE electrical connectors (one at a time) that go to the latch assembly in the driver's door, and identified the one that controls the "Driver Door Ajar" thing. Took a test drive to verify that the problem did not occur with that connector disconnected, then went to the Chevy dealership to get a replacement latch assembly. Replaced the part, and she's good as new. :-)

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

replying to Steve, Jason78 wrote: Did replace the whole drivers side wwitch?

Reply to
Jason78