7400 vortec electric fan sensor.

I have a motorhome with the 7400 Vortec 450 hp. engine. I suspect the electric fan is not coming on as needed. I cannot find the sensor for it. As a second question, does the sensor provide for two speeds or is it only a on/off switch. Also does it switch the hot 12v or does it switch the ground side.

The reason I'm concerned is when I stop for a stop light the temp gauge goes to the red. As soon I begin to move the temp remains in the normal I have ruled out a voltage problem and the fan is good. Hills are no problem.

Any help in locating the sensor / switch.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed

I forgot the chassis is a 96 Chevy.

Reply to
Ed
450HP? OoooooooK.
Reply to
Steve Barker

The LS6 version put out 450HP, LS7 was 465HP. Both picked up 50 horse with just headers.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yeah. Let's take them down to the dyno. I'll bet they don't do an ounce over 300.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Maybe so, but that was in the old gross HP rating. But I seriously doubt that his 1996 Motorhome 7.4L Vortec is "the 450HP" version. Seeing as how it's the first SFI year with a 9:00:1 compression rated at 290HP / 410 Lb Ft Torque factory.

Reply to
Augustus

Reply to
Steven Novark