78 chevy pickup pass smog

My father has given my son his old 1978 Chevy Pickup (low miles). Problem is the truck was purchased in Mo. and my son lives in Ca where it requires smog.

Before I drive it out here, can anyone tell me the problems I might have getting it to pass smog since MO doesn't require smog test? It's all stock and good shape. How can you tell if it's CA certified like some of the later models where they list Ca on the build tag or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Reply to
horsegal06

I've lived in Calif. my whole life and can't answer your question. But I do know a guy who moved here from Colorado some years ago with his late '70s Chevy truck and he just keeps the Colo. plates on it and has his family send him the new tags every year. Maybe he's lucky because they are supposed to notice things like that and issue citations but he's never gotten one.

Reply to
Joe Cougar

My Dad lives in LA. Importing a vehicle to California sucks. And I say importing, because that's what you're doing. If the vehicles over 25 years old , he has to get classic plates, then he's ok. But he has to take the after market stuff off if the vehicle is over its original weight. All the aftermarket bumpers , large tires, wheels, tool boxes, anything , not certified oem,original, or heavier then new, have to go. They charge by the pound overweight. His plates will be about $300 or so. If the vehicles overweight it may be $700 Then he can put the stuff back on. If the vehicle is 25 years old or less.You're better off selling it and buying one there. They have no rust and cost the same amount. He has to install all the California emission items and take the test/ inspection.. The test is 18 bucks. He will probably have to do it 3 times. The other cost are the same. All the weight and inspection items are the same. Sending a vehicle to the scrap yard in Cali is worse then any emission test in any other state. Let alone getting an out of state up to speed on Cali emissions. I agree about the guy from Colorado is about the only way to get it done cheaply. If he's caught there are hefty fines. For instance if he has a job, or address there, and is pulled over. And all registrations must be paid to the last year it was registered in California. Or the day you can prove you arrived. In other words, you cant keep cars in your yard or garage unregistered, because you have to pay for all back registration fees , plus a fine and reinspection. I visit regularly and all the old vehicles there are better, there are some bargains there . because of the weather, but the heat kills engines .

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
none2u

here you go: