Disel or Gas?

Whats the plus and minus for gas vs diesel? 5k more for the diesel. Why?

Reply to
Likikki

Diesel will last longer than the truck it was put in....No exceptions!! Better fuel mileage,cheaper at the pump,more torque for pulling.My 1995 truck has over 260,000 miles on it and is still going STRONG....... It's well worth the extra cash,but you may be able to get it a lot cheaper if you wait till the end of the month in December when they are closing out their year end............Then you will pay what the gasser costs and get a WAY better truck.............

Rick

Reply to
Burnett

Diesel: Around $5,000 more expensive Better full time tow rig & not so good daily driver More noise : You have to shut off your engine when you use a drive up/through window More stink More expensive oil changes Far fewer fuel stations that carry diesel and it is quite scarce in some places off the truck routes... Better heavy (over 10,000 lbs) towing power because of the flat torque curve slow and steady The diesel engine will last about twice as long as the rest of the rig Tends to get a few more miles per gallon fuel mileage, your mileage may vary...

Gas V10: Around $5,000 less then the diesel option Better daily driver & very good tow rig Less noise Less Stink Cheaper oil changes Gas available at every service station Very effective for towing up to 10,000 lbs Engine last over 200,000 miles just about when the rest of the rig starts falling apart around you... Much quicker and more responsive than a diesel

There ya go...

Reply to
351CJ

You summed it up pretty good there, but to add......

Then new 6.0 diesel is SOOOO quiet you can hardly hear it running even when standing next to it. Fuel mileage is better than 2:1 in the diesels favor. I know this is a Ford group but, Some of the guys at my shop were just saying the cummins (12valves) are starting to come in for their first rebuilds at

750,000 kms.

But you're right on with turbo diesels, they are NOT suited for stop-and-go, or city driving period. I understand lots of people do it, but it's really hard on the engine, the turbo especially. When it's purring at better than

80,000 rpm with the direct oil line pumping, it's OK. But cut the engine with a hot turbo, no oil flow, still clipping at better than 60,000 rpm dry, that's bad.

| |

Reply to
Luke

The last truck I had a 460 V8 F250 ran great and pulled good but ate up the gas like a pig!! I pulled a 20ft. trailer behind it with an 11 1/2 ft. camper loaded atop.I now pull a 38 ft. fifth wheel and have a diesel and notice no difference except the fuel is cheaper and I don't notice the fifth wheel being behind me .If you invest in a chip you can gain power and get the response that the gas motor has and not miss a beat.The only thing I can say is I love my diesel and wouldn't have it any other way,and I've had both!!

Rick

stop-and-go,

Reply to
Burnett

That's why you sit at idle for 30 seconds. Also, unless you're really running hard on the turbo it shouldn't require much cool down time.

(Suzuki Z400 page) If you're going to ridicule my post, please do it publicly and stop privately e-mailing me.

Reply to
C-squared

Our fire dept recently bought a 2003 F-250 with a rancho lift and the v8 power stroke turbo charged engine. Its very quiet and FLYS like a bat otta hell. Its very quick for our quick response vehical and pulls our zodiac and jet ski eaisly. The 0-60 is insane. And for our community we really need that!

Reply to
Ben Witek

Your interpretation of QUICK and what I call quick must vary drastically! I'm talking about head snappin passengers shriekin and grabin to hold on kinda quick...

To put it into perspective, when a 3.0 liter Toyota sedan can smoke you off the line you ain't quick!

Reply to
ARE you STUPID?

Yah, I wondered about that response myself. I'm a ford man through and through, but there ain't NOTHIN' quick about a power joke.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I tell ya what guys,go to the dealer and drive a new powerstroke and then come on back here and post your reply!! I tell ya another thing,chip the diesel and race a gasser & come back here and post your reply!! I'm not saying that a diesel is as fast as a new 2,000lb lighter Toyota off the line,how fair of a race is that? I speak from experience here...................................................................

drastically!

Reply to
Burnett

We have three new ones where I work. The 460's will still smoke them off the line and on the big end.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Tell ya what Burnett,

My old warmed over 460 GASSER will smoke your "chipped" diesel and the Toyota too! ( Although I seriously doubt the "3.0 liter Toyota sedan" weighs in at 4800 lbs )!

I tell ya what , Bring that smokin (Yes when you start gutting the exhaust for better / cooler performance, the black smoke is absolutely unavoidable) chokin noisy (all the sound insulation in the cab does nothing once you open the window) diesel over, I'll bitch slap you and you lead sled into reality, you can then come on back here and post your reply!!

You are asking about fair races in the same paragraph as you are talking seriously about successfully drag racing a diesel pickup??? Who is really confused here? When exactly did you say you saw a competitive dragster with a diesel engine??? OH that's right! NO SUCH THING!!!

BTW, I've driven all three of the new diesel pickups, not just Fords. I really do speak from experience here, none of them will keep up with my gasser... :-)

Pull your head out of your ass Burnett... Please...

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

YEAH! What A & O said.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Whatever ! Pull your head out of your ass,I used to have a 460 if you would have bothered to read from top to bottom and not jump in at the middle you would already know that! I should have also phrased my previous statement about racing a gasser with my chipped diesel and said "that you will be very surprised how well it keeps up with the gasser".Sorry my mistake,I by no means meant it would win.But comparing the weight ratio to a Toyota my truck would surprise the heck out of you!! With that said,I loved my 460 but it could not tow my 38ft. 5th wheel like my powerstrokew does...........I highly doubt your 460 unless highly modified (you didn't say) would smoke my powerstroke,you may win by a little but you definately would not smoke me....

here...................................................................

Reply to
Burnett

We will try this one more time...

If you don't want to compromise, go with a gasser and have both, speed, fast take-offs and pulling power. Then you won't have to shut er down at the drive through either.

[...]

As a matter of fact,I'll take that race and turn your apples & oranged ass and turn it into a puree!! I live in California,bring it!!

Reply to
Burnett

Are you for real? Stick your limp wristed puree up your ass. Your detuned republic of Kalifornia smog compliant 460 was a dog at best.

Shouldn't you be studying your voters pamphlet or something?

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

Does this mean that you are racing to win or just to keep up surprisingly well?

Reply to
ARE you STUPID?

Anyway,yes I'm for real.......... I don't drink puree's I make 'em out of Apples & oranges.! I don't need to study my pamphlet but I am impressed you know how to spell it!! Seriously though,what gear ratio do you have in your differential? My 460 would pull best at 3k rpm just about 65mph and that's pulling about 7k lbs.I never really drove it much around town because the fuel prices were cost prohibitive.I only drove it to go camping so it only had 90k miles when I got rid of it,where do you live that you don't need smog equipment on your truck?

Reply to
Burnett

That was a good one!!

Reply to