Chevy Chassis Speedo problem when WET.

I have a model year 2000 Chevy chassis Tioga Arrow 23B w/7.4 liter. This Friday on the highway I noticed that the speedometer was very jerky. It was obvious that it wasn't working correctly as there was a delay between speeding up or slowing down and it registering on the speedometer. The reading would jerk about 3 to 6 miles per hour and it wasn't smooth a all.

I noticed this once before but the problem went away the next day and now I understand what was the common factor. It was the rain. I don't mean a little rain, I mean seriously wet roadway when the rain is coming down in buckets. On Friday, over Snoqualmie pass, it was coming down to the point where the road couldn't drain the water fast enough. The same speedometer problem happened about a year ago in the same type *wet* conditions.. It's not like it gets any better after the rain subsides.. It's only a day later when it gets any better. I suppose when some module or connector dries-out.

Is anyone familiar with the 2000 Chevy chassis and the way the speedometer system works enough to understand what might be happening here? This issue is very annoying. It was perfect on the 120 mile *dry* ride home today. I'm just wondering if this is an easy fix or if there is something I can tell my mechanic if someone already is aware of this same problem.

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hogland

. . Have you crawled under there to even take a look at the speedo assembly that's on the drivetrain?

"I F"......it's cable operated, then the situation should be going on dry or wet.

If the speedo is electrical.....then do something to seal it against the moisture.

~:~ MarshMonster ~needs a drink~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Chevy Chassis Speedo problem when WET. Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Aug 9, 2004, 3:42pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ben=A0Hogland)

[...]

Marsh Monster

No, why do you assume that I know how it all works? I don't. I gave a model year 2000 Chevy 7.4 and if you are not familiar with that, thanks anyway. I was looking for specific advice.

So you don't know if it is cable operated or electronic operated?? Did you even read my message? I quote: "Is anyone familiar with the 2000 Chevy chassis and the way the speedometer system works enough to understand what might be happening here?" Obviously you don't fit into that category.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hogland

a chevy chassis with a 7.4 would have the 4L80E transmission

there will be a speed sensor on either the tail-housing or the left side of the main body of the transmission

I'd look over the connectors and wiring from the sensor toward the ECM

GM, on 'regular' trucks, used the same harness for 2WD / 4WD applications, with an additional connector where they would hook up the proper harness for

2 / 4 wheel applications

also suspect would the sensor in the differential, if it has anti-lock brakes, that sensor may be used for speedo data

the flex-wire from sensor to frame flexes every time the suspension does, and is a weak point

I'd disconnect and spray every connector with WD-40 and re-assemble them

good luck on this one

Reply to
TranSurgeon

"I F"......it's cable operated, then the situation should be going on dry or wet. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ben=A0Hogland) kicked ole Marsh in the balls and lectured him with this message:

No, why do you assume that I know how it all works? I don't.

I gave a model year 2000 Chevy 7.4 and if you are not familiar with that, thanks anyway. I was looking for specific advice.

So you don't know if it is cable operated or electronic operated??

Did you even read my message? I quote: "Is anyone familiar with the

2000 Chevy chassis and the way the speedometer system works enough to understand what might be happening here?"

Obviously you don't fit into that category. Ben =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Ben, you overweight, too much time on yer hands, bad attitude, lazy, waste of intellect.........

As far as assumptions..... My first assumption was that you had'nt the slightest clue as to how the simptom worked, not that you did.....lard ass.

Secondly..... YES.... i did read yer pittifull cry for help and understood the content.

Thirdly.... Carry yer sorry ass to the RV forum with that shit fer brains, holier than thou, I'm the f@#k'n man, look at me now ....attitude of yers. OR HAVE YOU BEEN BANNED?? (because you got a shitty attitude there Ben)

Fourthly.....

SUCK MY ASS!!!!!!!! you overweight piece of shit.

As far as yer speedo problem...... your too fat to get under there to fix it anyways...so why even bother asking.

HEY B E N.......... my light switch don't work in the living room. Think I oughta see why....or go cry in the forums for help first???? and kick anybody in the balls that offers a suggestion???

~:~ MARSH MONSTER ~has to go to work now....at the tranny shop~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The way I see it, he was asking for a quick, detailed solution to his problem. You offered a way for him to learn how to solve the problem on his own. Easy, no effort way or expand his knowledge so that next time he need not seek help here. Gee, which method is better...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you can get rid of him for the whole weekend...

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

applications,

Thanks for the helpful information, TranSurgeon.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hogland

"Marsh Monster" wrote in

Thirdly.... Carry yer sorry ass to the RV forum with that shit fer brains, holier than thou, I'm the f@#k'n man, look at me now ....attitude of yers. OR HAVE YOU BEEN BANNED?? (because you got a shitty attitude there Ben)

Now I realize why you call yourself *Monster*.. You'd have to be an idiot or a moron to think anyone would like your holy then thou, sarcastic response in the name of *help*. I don't need any help from the likes of you. What comes around goes around and you're just mad because you got a little of your own medicine.. I know your type.. has an attitude but hates an attitude back at ya.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Hogland

Don't worry about Mmonster, he's the local newsgroup clown

Reply to
Battleax