94 Chev Silverado - a/c not working

I've been reading a few threads regarding a/c, trying to find answers to my own problems. The compressor clutch is not kicking in any more. It slowly died, working occasionally for a while until it would not kick in at all. I took it to a small shop recommended by a neighbour, who told me he could not find any leaks. He suggested another company who supposedly had a higher pressure testing system. They said they could not find a leak either, but topped up the freon. $175 later, again it worked occasionally until completely dying all together. After reading a few threads, I performed the bi-pass test on the accumulator. Clutch kicked in and produced cold air. Is there any other explanation (electrical?) or is my freon pressure definitely low. If so, why can't these people find the leak? What kind of price tag is usually associated with finding and fixing leaks? Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'll take a wild guess: Moisture in the system freezing and blocking your TXV and then triggering your low pressure switch to shut off..

For $175, they should have evacuated the system and found the leak as I suspect you're getting air in there somewhere.

Usually a UV dye is injected and it shows up really well.. If its your evaporator, their electronic leak detection units should have caught it. Have the next shop replace the receiver/dryer when they service the car..

But thats just my 2 cents.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Thanks for your suggestion Barry. I received an e-mail suggesting that the switch on the accumulator may be sticking or shot. It is relatively inexpensive to try so that will be my first move. Failing that, I will bring up your suggestion to the next person to service my a/c. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom