97 1500 vortec 350/V8

i have reason to believe my head gasket blew and i was wondering what if anything is different about a tear down of the heads and what not to replace the gaskets any help would be great

Reply to
William C.

Run a compression test yet?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
William C.

another question, say i took off the plastic piece that is on the intake,should i have not done that? i only did it cause i couldn't believe there were only 8 bolts holding the intake on

Reply to
William C.

No harm in taking it off, so long as it was put back on properly with new gaskets and torqued correctly.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

the plastic part needs torquin?

Reply to
William C.

If "the plastic part" is what you are calling the upper intake plenum, then yes. If you are referring to some other plastic part in that area (there are several) I dunno. It would help if you referred to parts by their names.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

sorry this is as new as a truck as i have ever had so i don't know the proper names,i freaked out when i found out i may to take it apart

Reply to
William C.

This must be why my doctor never knows what actual body part I'm talking about I tell him about my ailments. I never know how to refer to them in Latin so he would completely understand.

Reply to
Gordon

my dad also said with the heads off now would be a good time to change the bearing and the piston rings but i am trying to talk MYSELF out of it ,so should i leave it like it is or change it?

Reply to
William C.

How many miles?

What was the compression before you ripped it apart in each cylinder?

What was the hot oil pressure at idle, at cruising speed?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Just leave it alone, put it back together and drive it. The problem was the intake gasket and now you will have some new head gaskets. I suspect you will need more help just to get the thing back together and running again.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

ohhhh man ...why do you say that?

Reply to
William C.

Because you weren't able to diagnose it properly in the first place and ended up taking more apart then was necessary. Just because you have the heads off an engine doesn't mean that you ought to start tearing into the bottom end....unless....you actually had some sort of problem that re-ringing and re-bearing the engine will fix. If not, just put it back together and drive it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

well i toke off the heads cause i wanted to make sure they weren't cracked and i am thinking of having the the block all done up cause when the intake gasket blew the water and the oil mixed together and got in the intake the oilpan and anywhere else and i am not sure if i could flush it all out..i mean will it be ok like that? it has 138000 miles on it but like i said i am trying to talk myself out of it cause the motor sounded and ran strong before

Reply to
William C.

anyone know where i can get a bolt in cold air kit? all i keep running across are ones for diesels

Reply to
William C.

Start looking in dumpsters. That's where they belong.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"