97 GMC fuel pump/transmission ?'s

Hey folks... hoping for a few second opinions here. Thanks in advance.

I've got a '97 GMC Sierra (hate how they call them, that now) K 1500. It's got 126000 miles. I bought it with 110,000 on it about a year ago. Great truck, very comfortable and smooth on the freeway. Decent power and mileage.

I think my fuel pump died recently, though. It still 'buzzes' for about 5 seconds after you shut the truck off, like it's trying to keep the system pressurized, but the truck won't start. A couple of basic checks with starting fluid, and the fact it still has spark makes me think it's the fuel pump. It's not the fuel pump relay, either... that would be too easy.

I've heard it's easier to replace the pump on this model by actually lifting off the bed of the truck, as opposed to dropping the tank. Not sure I believe this, but I've had quite a few folks I know swear to this. Either way, it's going to be a pita, I'm sure.

The transmission has started making a clunking noise recently. It happens in stop and go type traffic. You slow way down, but don't quite have to stop, then when you give it gas again, no matter how gently, you can hear a 'clunk' noise... sounds like it's right beneath the seat. My local tranny guy did a tune up on it, power flushed, added some stuff to help it run cooler, and said not to worry about it, every test he did on it was fine, and it does run quieter now. His shop has been around forever, and they have a fantastic reputation. But it seems weird to me to just forget about a clunking sound. It only does it from first to second, and it's not bone jarring... you can hear it, but not feel it, but any kind of a clunk can't be good.

Guess I'm just looking for an excuse to be cheap, and not spend 2 grand or so on a tranny rebuild. I'm sure I'll be sorry when it dies on me during a blizzard some night. Anybody else ever have a transmission do this?

Reply to
HDDJ

I am just guessing here.....eliminate the U-joint(s) and check/relube the splines on the drive shaft, sometimes they hang and release, sounds like a clunk. Normally should slide back and forth in the tranny with no binding. YMMV

Reply to
MikeG

As for the fuel pump, I would do a fuel pressure check/test before I replaced anything. Your pump could be good but your pressure regulator could be defective causing low fuel pressure even though the pump is working fine.

Many times, removing the bed is easier when changing the fuel pump. I have slid the bed back about 3 feet once. Another time I just propped it up using a 2x4 like kick stand. You must evaluate each job depending on the truck model.

James

Reply to
James1549

"HDDJ" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com...

OK I just did this thing yesterday with my 01 Sonoma. The fuel pump was getting so weak that I could not start the engine unless I primed it with carb/choke spray. I bought a 20 foot tow strap from Harbor Freight I used my auto shop at the highschool where I teach auto. My bed is secured by 8 15mm bolts that were simple to remove, I did take off the bumper as well as the hitch assy. I left the last two bolts near the tailgate in with about half there length still threaded. I then took the fill pipe connection loose on the side of the bed. Then I took the toe strap, dropped the hook down between body and the bed and brought it back under the bed to the crossmember just behind the wheel it had a square hole in the tubing that the tow strap hook fit into. Did the same on the other side. I have an electric winch that slides on an overhead rail used the winch to tilt the bed up till I could get to the pump. The pump was out and new one in in less then 5 minutes. The hardest thing I had to do was compress that big stinking O-Ring seal enough to get the snap ring back in. Dropped the bed back down bolted everything back up. Total time was hour and 55 minutes. BTW make sure if you use the tow-strap rig that the strap goes inside the fill pipe, don't ask me how I know this. The worst thing about this job is the price of the complete CSFI fuel pump was 342.00 (Napa) and through GM online they want $315 but $ 69 for Shipping and handling. My choice was NAPA the pump is made by Carter.

Reply to
Dan Calhoun

Reply to
cmplx80

You will hear different opinions from different people on what's easier, dropping the tank or removing the bed. What it comes down to is what equipment you have... if you don't have the equipment to do it safely, leave the bed on. I've had my tank down a few times in the last year, and can do it in less than an hour total. Pick whatever way is easiest for you.

cmplx80 wrote:

Reply to
89GMC