98 Blazer problems

Hey folks!

Hoping someone here may be able to help me with my problems with the Blazer. We have had problems with the tranny shifting hard from 1st to 2nd on long trips, but never on the short trips. We were on the interstate about 25 miles from home yesterday while going with the cruise control set around

70... I noticed the tach revving to 3-4k with a loss of power. Right before this... I noticed the back window looked dirty like there was a film of oil on it. After I noticed I was losing power I pulled to the side of the road. Opened the hood and some (not much at all) steam seemed to be coming from somewhere on the passenger side which cleared up right away. Overflow tank for coolant was empty. Smelled of burning fluid. Back window seemed to have more film on it than when I first noticed it. Checked under vehicle and notice from about the 2nd or 3rd transmission pan bolt (from rear) all towards the back of the vehicle fluid was dripping. Checked transmission fluid and dipstick was dry. Oil was fine. Drove the mile or so that was left to get into town. Added 4 quarts Dexron III? ATF which made it slightly overfilled (3 quarts was still too low) and noticed no more leaking at this time. Noticed a small hose on the drivers side right behind the tranny pan that seemed kind of loose. Drove to GMC dealership which was another mile or so down the road. Talked to a guy there who said to leave it there and to buy some coolant when I get back and we can look at it after it had a chance to cool down. Thought it had overheated and vented out through the tube I was telling him about. When we got back form our shopping, one of the guys from the shop came out and I told him what happened and he brought out a gal of cool-dex and added it. Checked tranny fluid and it was still showing overfilled, but it was pretty dark. He said he thought we would be able to make it home ok but that we prob needed a new tranny. We brought it back home and took it to a shop for them to look at today. Guy from shop today checked it and doesn't think there is any problems with it. I told him we have had probs (hard shifting) in the past and there was a transmission code on the scanner (P1780 I think) which indicated transmission slippage. They drove it today and didn't see any problems of any kind but noted that it was overfull. I am thinking we need to replace the transmission now and get it over with since we will not be buying a new car anytime soon (unless I win the publishers clearing house sweepstakes). The guy at the shop thinks we should just drive it until we have problems again. I am just glad we didn't take the blazer to my folks at Christmas which is 120 miles away or so and would have been pretty cold compared to the 50 degree weather we had yesterday. Now I am rambling.... but can anyone offer some advice as to what we should do? I am planning on taking it to a tranny shop on Monday when they get back from their vacation and see what they say we should do. The other shop is telling us 1500-2000 to get it replaced which I am sure is prob about right, but I am thinking I should take it somewhere that specializes in transmissions instead of this other place that doesn't even think anything is wrong with it right now.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. I really value the opinions of many of you guys online here (Doc, TranSurgeon, Ian, etc..)

Dave

Reply to
dcbryan

"dcbryan"

now that you have run the tranny out of fluid it is most likely going to blow out in the next six months. so start saving your money now. you'll know when it's time to change it. when you go to take off from a night it will feel like it is in neutral then "crunch" it will go into gear real hard....when it happends twisce a week have it changed before it strands you.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Dave,

P1870 started the problem with the standard TCC regulator valve problem. Because you continued to drive it even with P1870 showing it's ugly face, this caused the transmission to overheat and eventually lunch itself, which is why you now need a complete rebuild. NOT a good sign when your tranny literally pukes all it's fluid through the vent tube!

Do not get it replaced at the dealserhsip as they will just give you a 'new' version of the one that blew up. You need to take it to an independent transmission shop (NOT a national chain, a lil' ma and pa type place) and have it rebuilt. I would recommend TransSurgeon's shop if you are close or have a way of getting it there.

Also time to start looking for that coolant leak! You might have more serious problems on your hands................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

""Doc"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Thanks Doc... I guess I don't value the opinions that much or else I would have gotten this taken care of sooner!! No wait... that's my wife's fault. Anyway I really do value the advice that I get here from time to time and I really appreciate the help given. From my previous post to MM.. I guess I did mention that the fluid was dark. Also, just for your peace of mind... I do not go to national chains for repair work! I know better (from reading these newsgroups). I am in Central Illinois, so I don't think I am close to TranSurgeon's shop or else I WOULD take it there. It is so hard to find reputable mechanics when you don't know too many people or the town all that well. When we had radiators flushed and filled on our vehicles a while back I went to a place that my f-i-l recommended. I was not happy with them because I found it odd that when I took my own coolant with me (50/50 mix) I read the manual for the radiator capacity and I underestimated the gallons needed and still had at least one gallon left over unopened and another that was partially full. I wonder where they got all the extra fluid to not need what I brought. I didn't want them to reuse it which I am hearing is ok to do. Anyway, Monday we will take it to the tranny shop (which now I am wondering about because my f-i-l mentioned this shop and he's the same one that told us to take it to the place that didn't drop the pan or do anything other than drive it around and not have any problems) and get their (first, other place didn't count) opinion as well as find another tranny shop in town for a (real) second opinion.

Dave

Reply to
dcbryan

WHERE in central IL ?????

we're in Jacksonville, 35 miles west of Springfield

TS

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Just had to change the radiator in my 99 Blazer. When I did my annual trans fluid change I found water in there :( I bet you have the same problem. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Well crap... if I knew that... I would have driven it to Jax from spfld and left it at your shop. We are between Spfld & Decatur on 72. Where is your shop or how do I get ahold of you? We haven't taken it anywhere else yet. Do you know of any reputable shops here in Decatur?

Reply to
dcbryan