'98 Chevy

Hi y'all,

Looking at purchasing a '98 Chev half ton 4x2 Ext.cab w/350 motor. I will be towing a 23 foot 5th wheel with it. Any input/advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Reply to
Coverdale

if you're planning on towing a 5th wheel... why in the blue hell are you looking at a 1/2 ton? you should bare minimum be looking at a

8600lbs 2500...

my $.02

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

not to mention that the 2500 has a 4L80E instead of a 4L60E...............

now up to $ 0.04

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Gee, and I thought it may do a better job than my '88 Cheyenne w/305 ?!?!? Maybe I should look for 2500 ..... what can I expect for mileage on one of those puppies ?

Reply to
Coverdale

one of my employer's trucks is a '98 8600 lbs C2500, 350/4L80E... it gets between 13 and 15mpg.... it used to be our tow vehicle for our office trailer (around 8,000lbs loaded) and did fine. our current tow vehicle is a '98 Ram Xcab 2500 Cummins.... if we can keep the damn thing from falling apart, it's much better than the C2500 for towing (not hauling... the C2500 can put almost twice (3195 lbs) what the Ram can (1600lbs) and stay under GVWR, which is very important for commercial vehicles).

to do any serious towing and not endanger the general populace (grossly inadequate brakes), look for a big block or a diesel 2500 or

3500.... I really hate seeing people towing beyond their vehicle's capability.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks for the input Bret, but I don't plan on towing anything big, or go great distances. I presently have a 23 footer and when the time comes to upgrade it I won't be going much bigger. Either way, it'll be a Chevy for me !

Reply to
Coverdale

what is the 23 footer trailer or what are you going to put in it? you said that you are not going to tow great distances, less then 30 miles?

if it is a bass boat I don't see a problem but a cargo, rv, or etc. you better get better braking.

Reply to
Bubba in Italy

====================== Isnt that what trailer brakes are for?

Reply to
Scott M

That's what I figured ..... 23 footer is an rv. Rarely go any further than 50-60 miles.

Reply to
Coverdale

Reply to
sidewinder

Aaak. Only if they work. Which means only if you properly maintain the trailer battery and the wiring on the trailer and the wiring linkage to the truck and nothing goes wrong with any of those systems. Too little truck relative to the load means betting your life on rather too many dependencies.

I have had the very unpleasant experience of driving a truck (someone else's) towing a ~6000lb trailer, and losing the trailer brakes at 80mph on a downhill stretch in a crosswind. (At least, that's when I knew the trailer brakes were gone.) The trailer plug worked itself out of the truck receptacle on a badly patched highway, and the trailer started to push the truck around. I was *so* very glad that the truck was not a dinky 1/2 ton.

Una

Reply to
Una

================ 80mph on a downhill stretch in a crosswind? Sounds like you really should slow down a little. :)