4x4 maintenance

Hi all,

Going to buy a new F250 and would like some idea about the operating and maintenance expenses of getting 4x4 vs 4x2, with either the v10 or the diesel [either will have automatic].

Didn't ask the dealer, but can you get limited slip for the front drive too?

Any input appreciated.

Jan

Reply to
jan

Regarding the LS for the front drive. Suggest that you forget that option. I have front LS on my '92 Bronco. I live in the mountains and when the hubs are locked you are always fighting the wheel 'cause the steering always wants to go straight.

I also have a F350 V10. Maintenance is minimal. Just change the oil and air filter at the normal intervals. I tow a 14,000# 5th wheel and should have selected the Diesel. If you are towing under 10,000# the V10 will be OK.

Reply to
Mellowed

Chances are Ford DOES NOT put a locking differential in the front of any of their trucks, you may find a dealer who will put one in there for you but the last 2 trucks I bought you could only get the locker (clutch limited slip) in the rear... Any number of places can do it for you, but Unless you are gonna be off road allot in really rough terrain I would not bother... A locking differential in the front will be nearly un-drivable with the front end engaged on slick roads...

As for maintenance... You should pay the same attention to your transfer case as you do your transmission... The same attention to the front differential as your rear differential and the rest is the same as a 2x4 with a few extra universal joints...

Every Transfer case I have had to rebuild has been on over 200,000 mile trucks and the manual transmissions were in need of a rebuild too...

Good luck

Reply to
351CJ

A locker and a limited slip are NOT the same thing. A locker will mechanically lock the differential side gears together, effectively making the diff a spool. A manually-activated locker will act as an open diff until you lock it via a lever or switch (ARB Air Locker, OX Locker); an automatic locker will lock and unlock automtically depending on the torque bias of the axle (as in a turn or when one wheel is in the air), Detroit Locker.

Limited Slips are just that...they provide some useable torque to the spinning wheel but there is some slippage. Clutch packs are often used to provide this limited slippage, helical gearsets are used in others (Detroit Tru-Trac).

The OP asked about a LS in the front axle. Ford does not offer it but you can have it installed at a good axle shop. I would recommend a Detroit Tru-Trac. I have one in the front axle of my Jeep Wrangler (which does not have selectable hubs, the front hubs are always "locked in") and it is absolutely invisible on the street.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Alse be advised that the v10 is a gas hog. I average 12-13mpg unloaded, 9-10 towing a 6,000lb trailer, 2002 F250 Crew Cab v10/auto/3.73 final drive ratio.

The diesel gets better fuel economy, but it,s louder and costs more upfront and to maintain. But with proper maintenance it will outlast everything else on the truck.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt, I know the differences well, I have rebuilt many Ford "Traction Loc" Clutch Limited Slip units, and installed a number of "Detroit locker" Mechanical lockers, and even 1 spool. I guess my statement and your comprehension did not meet in the middle... "you could only get the locker (clutch limited slip) in the rear" Ford Hasn't offered a true locking differential in a car or light truck since the early 70's, But they still put the L on the gear set tag 4L10 as opposed to 4.10 and that isn't for "Limited Slip" They used the L on the tags in the cars with "Lockers in them too...

Reply to
351CJ

Loc" Clutch

Mechanical

comprehension did

Yup-- the 2001 F550 4x4 crewcab "beast" I drive at work is "supposed to be a limited slip or locker" rear; but I've never been able to make it work. The dealer claims you have to "ride the brakes lightly" to make it "kick in"; but that doesn't do it either. I've driven both military and civilian HMMV's with the Torsen/Gleason lockers... and I KNOW that works. I've done the LF/RR ditch cross trick with RF/LR wheels hanging in space ...

I know real lockers; the old 58 Chev 3/4 ton 2wd I drove for a school district back in Montana had a Detroit locker. It was a pain; but you learned "selective clutch hammering" and throttle slam cornering . ( think East Glacier to Cut Bank )

I'm in Seattle; I know ARB well . I'd love to have ARB's front and back; but the beancounters at wurk won't listen. The main reason the F550 "exists" is to get to mountaintop radio/miocrowave sites; or drag a LMC 1500 Snocat for same when the shit hits bad.

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon

Be that as it may, your referred excerpt sounded as if you were using the terms locker and limited slip interchangeably. Perhaps Ford didn't want to have to stamp new axle tags.

"you could only get the locker (clutch limited slip) in the rear"

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have a 250 - diesel 4X4. I have had no problems - I pull a 28 ft horse trailer and live in the N GA mountains. Until I hit about 135,000 miles, all I did was maintenance. I have replaced the front brakes, the batteries and the alternator to date (145,000). Oil changes are higher (14 qts), but I love my truck. Susan Ravan

Reply to
Susan Ravan