99 Blazer radiator

Just had the radiator replaced due to an internal leak. Now having an tranny fluid leak at the lower connection. Shop says it might be the glue holding the fitting in the tank or the new style floating line connection. If the rad is bad they can get a new one under warranty but will still have to charge me labor to install it. If the line is bad will have to replace it. He recommended just ignoring the rad/tranny cooler and go with an external tranny cooler. Can anyone share their experience with this issue?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

If you bought it From the Company that installed it, THEN THEY EAT the LABOR charges..

Sounds to be like The person Who Changed the RAdiator BENT the Trans LINE and Then Forced it To line up While inserting it into the tranny.. This Kept Sideways or UP/down Pressure on the RADIATOR fitting and Finally it Broke loose !!

Mike C> Just had the radiator replaced due to an internal leak. Now having an

Reply to
Santa

Sounds like they boogered it up. They are correct, external transmission coolers are the way to go, but the fact remains that you paid them to fix it and now you have another problem. They fix it on their dime or I'd take em' to small claims court.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If it is the glued in fitting that let go then it is a warranty issue. But, should the shop charge me if it is not their fault? Are the "floating" lines a common problem?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

A faulty rad is not their fault, but they still shouldn't charge you to R&R a faulty rad that THEY installed. Bottom line, you paid X dollars for a repair and it shouldn't cost you more than that initial amount. And no, AFAIK the floating lines aren't problematic.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

This place is blowing smoke up your tail pipe. If the "glue" let loose, it isn't going to leak tranny fluid its going to leak coolant. If they installed it, and it wasn't leaking externally before they worked on it, then its on them. Unless the radiator is bad and YOU told them to use a brand they don't use, or you brought the radiator to them, it's on them.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If You Bought the Radiator From A Store and Brought it to the Mechanic, to install, Then YOU EAT THE LABOR... if The Mechanic DIDNOT cause the RAD to BREAK

If The Mechanic Sold you the RAD and installed it.. THEN HE EATS the LABOR !! Because He MADE money on the SALE as Well As on The LABOR

Reply to
Santa

Why would it leak coolant around the trans line connection? I thought the heat exchanger was inside.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Trans line Cooler is nothing But A Coiled tubbe Running Thru the WATER .. The tube is Glued to the TANK that holds the WATER, So if The Glue BREAKS or The PLASTIC CRACKS ,, You get WATER running out

Reply to
Santa

That makes sense. It is tranny fluid dripping so I guess the radiator is ok. I didn't see any kinks or dents in the line near the fitting. But, I have not played with the new style floating fittings. Is is possible to over tighten them? How else can one screw this up? It seems like a simple connection. The larger question is why is it so hard to find a shop that won't try to BS the customer? I thought I had found a good one here.

Reply to
Mike Copeland