A bit off Chevy. cavalier 95

It's not running properly and it's making a loud ticking sound(not knocking)Did a compression test and found out cylinder #2 has only 70 #1 has 120 #3 has 130 #4 has 150 Engine is the L4 2.2 manual Any ideas of the work i'm looking at? Ie: valve spring broken,burnt valve ,cracked piston ring ?

Again sorry for not being on topic but ifigure out there is lots of chevy tech in here so i try to ask.

Reply to
Snoop

more like a rocker is loose as hell. The adjuster nuts sometimes back off. If this found to be the case replace all nuts and any "pivots"that show signs of scoring as well as thier rocker arm. Slight possablity of collapsed lifter, or worn cam lobe but that seldom happened with this engine unless severly abused.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

put about 5 tablespoons of oil in the cyl to see it the comp goes up to near normal. If it does its a piston problem, if not a valve problem. Ticking sounds like a valve train problem though. Poll the valve cover a take a good look. Look for a rocker loose....ect.

Reply to
ScottM

Thanks for the info guys! I was gonna purchased that car for a winter beater but, i think i'll pass even tho i could get it for $100.I also heard they might be head gasket issue with the 2.2/2.0 I rather put money in my Honda(if it ever happend)!

Reply to
Snoop

If it were a head gasket two adjacent cylinders would be low. If it were me, I would have money in hand, and tools to pull valve cover.If its a loose rocker buy it. If not pass on it. The Chevy 2.2 is no more prone to blowing head gaskets than any other engine, or manufacturer fort hat matter with aluminum heads. You over heat them, they blow.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok i think i will do that.It will take 5-10 min to check it. I've owned 3 GM cars,93 cavalier,93 sunbird(V6 3.1)and a 94 sunburd.Both 4 cyl blew the head gasket.It seems on that 95 cavalier that work has been done before as the head seems way too clean for the block. I'll check that out and report the result.

Reply to
Snoop

Is it just me or.............

never seen a head gasket blow (to my knowlege) for no reason.

Like a very dirty radiator or bad t-stat. (overheating and driven anyway- till the head gasket blew) driven the crap out of the car for many miles....you get the idea.....

just curious.....

Reply to
ScottM

Reply to