Bigblock? Smallblock?

I have a 1990 Chevy Caprice. It has a 5.0 liter 305 according to the VIN and the block. Unfortunately, It doesn?t say if its a BB or SB. I was wondering if it would be a short block or big block. Finding parts on online auctions is difficult when you don?t know. Also considering upgrading to the 5.7L 350. From what I hear, it should work. The old engine is probably in too poor of condition to be rebuilt. What do you think? The car ran fine until one day I put the pedal to the metal. The sound of breaking metal and slipping timing was followed by silence. I coasted about 3 blocks before I used the parking brake to stop. Before that, it only made a slight ticking noise. I found out later that the ticking was the crankshaft hitting a broken rod. It wasn?t a tapping valve like people suggested. I also found a brownish-black sludge in the cylinder with the broken rod.

It?s old over-heated coolant mixed with carbon buildup. I haven?t taken the entire engine out yet. The pistons, cam, crank, pan, and rods are the only thing attached to the block(besides the tranny). The engine is still in the car. It is actually sitting on the frame. Both mounts? rubber is completely gone. The only things that might be salvageable would be the block(if not cracked), the pistons(if not broken), valve springs and retainers, and the heads(if not cracked). Things wrong with the 305 5.0L: cracked intake manifold, bent rods (due to broken rod), possible cracked head, possibly had a blown head gasket, 1 broke rod (pushed it down about 2 1/2" with finger while other pistons stayed in place), 7 seized pistons(8th was completely broken from crank months before, apparently), stretched timing chain, cam timing off by 90 degrees, shattered cam thrust washer plate(don?t know the actual name. I?ts the bolted on plate behind the cam gear.), found about 4 1/2 quarts of pure coolant and water in oil pan(about 5

1/2 quarts of oil also found in the oil pan.)
Reply to
BadBow99S10

The abbreviation SB refers to small block. Your car has a small block.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The 305 is a Small Block. The only Small block that has more cubic inches than a Big Block is a 400 which is bigger than the classis 396. If its under 400ci its a small block. We wont get into the 348/409 family. The

305 is one of the worst engines ever made. ALLOT of the 305 blocks were made on Mexico and were far below junk. They had a high sand content and the starter bolt holes liked to strip out. 350's are EVERYWHERE and a direct bolt in and lots more power without sacrificing economy. The only hitch might be the exhaust manifolds.

Don't even bother considering 305 anything...not worth the time! 350,

400, even a 307 would be MUCH better

Reply to
Shades

Unless it's a 366, then it's a big block.;-)

We wont get into the 348/409 family. The

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:> >

Hairy

But a 'W' looks good in any frame ya stick it in......

Reply to
Hank

Another thing I can rub in my dads face! I told him it was probably a small block. I?ve decided not to use the original block any way. I took the oil pan off tonight. I found a little more than oil or coolant in the pan. No, not metal shavings. I found that one con rod had in fact broken. I did not know for a fact that the rod broke. But, I was right...unfortunately. It was broken into three pieces. My car racing neighbor was actually surprised to see the pieces. He said he only saw rods broken like that in cars equipped with NOS. Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that my car has an auto tranny.

Reply to
BadBow99S10
Reply to
BadBow99S10

Well if ya want to get into the truck blocks.

Reply to
Shades

Definatly!!!

Reply to
Shades

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:28:15 -0600, "Hairy" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well you got me on this one. Who what & when was a 366 BB in a production vehicle? I am aware of bored & stroked GM 350's into

383's, but they are still small blocks. As the other poster stated the smallest BB that I am aware of is the 396 with the biggest SB being the GM 400, which is an outstanding motor in the 4-bot main configuration. Which by the way, highly sought after by dirt track racers.
Reply to
ZombyWoof
396 mmmmmmmmmmm
Reply to
High Sierra

The 366 is a truck engine found in C65's and others. Same block as the

396-402-427-454. Basically the same engine but heavier duty with extra oil capacity. H
Reply to
Hairy

Partially wrong and somewhat right! The 366 is a Tall Block, always considered a 'Truck Block'. There is also a very rare 427 'Truck Block'. The same basic design for the standard Mark IV Big Block is used(with some differences) but the deck height is higher, the rids longer, taller compression height pistons, and longer rods. They were discontinued in the mid 70's or so.

Both the 366 and 427 'Truck Blocks' were used exclusively in Medium Duty Chevy and GMC trucks. They CAN be shoe-horned into Light Trucks and passenger cars, but are expensive to build and find. Hood clearance can be an issue too.

Reply to
Shades

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:22:44 -0600, "Hairy" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Huh, like I said you got me good on that one. Major knowledge hole in that area. What years were they available in?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Check this page...says it better than I could.

Hairy

366 is a Chev truck motor... was available in 2ton trucks
Reply to
Elbert

Hank

SWEET!!! Love the all original 4dr, 4spd, 409...still has the generator!!! The red '65 Impala is awesome too!

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
PCK

'Truck Blocks' does NOT refer to Light Trucks! It refers to the Medium Duty trucks! Educate before you get lippy!

Reply to
Shades