a/c compressor connections

hello all,

i am trying to troubleshoot why my a/c compressor is not engaging on my '99 chevy k1500. i thought i knew what 2 of the 3 electrical connections on the compressor did what, but now i have my doubts. before i go any further with the troubleshooting, i would like to get some clarification. can somebody tell me the purpose of the 3 connections?

one is at the front top of the compressor, near the serpentine belt. another is connected to the top of the compressor, going back toward the firewall, near where the freon hoses are connected. the third one is at the rear of the compressor.

thanks in advance...

REO

Reply to
r.o.

the one on top near the belt is the clutch coil, the ones on the back are most likely a high pressure cut out and a overheat cut out.

Reply to
Scott M

Yea, the one near the belt on top engages the clutch, the one to the rear of the compressor is high pressure switch, and the 3rd is located on the high side near the canister that holds the refrigerant, the is the low pressure switch. Try monkeying with the wires on the high pressure switch, sometimes they give problems.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

WHAT 'canister that holds the refrigerant' ?

if you're talking about the accunulator, it's in the low-side line

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Waiting for the inevitable spelling correction...

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I knew what its was called, it was late when I wrote that and I had a few beers in me, and I know its the low side, that's where you add the refrigerant, plus I knew it was the accumulator. The low pressure switch is also located there. What spelling Gremlin? Its was a weekend, I was drinking, forgive me for any typo's. I had problems with my silverado and S-10 with a/c compressor engageing. But troubleshooted it to being the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor. S-10 is a 97 and silverado is a 99

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

TranSurgeon has arthritis and sometimes has misspellings. He mentioned that it was the "accunulator" and he usually comes back and says something along the lines of "Damn arthritis!"

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin