Adding fog lamps

Hi,

I have a 2006 TrailBlazer w/o fog lamps and I've been thinking about adding them. So, I called my dealer and he said that it could be anywhere from $300 - $600 labor because they would have ro replace the wiring harness. That sounds very hokey to me. I'd think tht Chavey has a built-in plig for these things.

Any clues?

Thanks

MG

Reply to
MikeG

Greetings,

I purchased a factory fog light kit for my '04 Silverado from a vendor on eBay and installed them myself. It came with the lights, harness and new dash switch.

Now making the presumption that the Trailblazer is built on the same type of architecture as the Silverado (namely, Plug-and-Play) then once you get the kit in hand simply install the lights as instructed (you may have to cut out the holes for the lights in the air dam like I had to or you can purchase a new air dam with the holes and spend more money) and run the wiring harness to the underhood electrical center. Typically, you will have to raise or rotate up the circuit block to access the underside where you plug in the ends to the harness. Reinstall the block and plug the relay into the proper slot. Be very sure where you are installing the harness ends under the block as the directions were a little confusing and the diagram wasn't at all clear until I realized that it was showing the other side of the block and not the side I was working on.

A new switch for your dash may also be included, which will require you to remove the dash bezel and install the new switch (also PnP). The switch may be a seperate new unit or a replacement for one you already have that adds an additional switch for the fog lights, as was mine.

Now comes the tricky part. The Body Control Module (BCM) may or may not already be programmed to accept fog lights. If your new lights work then no problem, but if not then you need to check all connections and proper placement of the harness ends in the circuit block and if all that looks good then go to somewhere that has the proper computer that can set the BCM to recognize the fog lights (usually the dealer, for a small fee of course).

The complete install on my Silverado took about 90 minutes, with the hardest part being removing, cutting cleanly into and then replacing the air dam.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

That is something like what I imagined. The dealer told me 1 or 2 days labor. LOL

Mike

Reply to
MikeG