another Duramax ?

I want to change my own oil in my 04 LLY Duramax. I have changed oil in several gas vehicles. I am just wondering how much oil they hold and anything else I need to know about changing it. I live in the midwest so it gets cold. a lot of guys tell me they use Rotella oil that are in my line of work. can I reset the oil life message back or does a dealer have to do that. Thanks for any help.. I need to start saving money on this stuff.

Thanks in Advance!! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz
10 quarts of 15w-40, although you will have to check your manual to see if they recommend 30wt for cold weather. I would recommend a fully synthetic oil if you can get it and afford it, especially for cold starts. Rotella is a very good oil, and they make a synthetic Rotella as well. I'm ashamed to say it, but I use Amsoil, but only because I can't fine a fully synthetic 15w-40 locally and Amsoil is able to ship it to me without hassle in 1-2 days. I don't sell the stuff and I'm not into their MLM, so after I got that message across to them, they were more than happy to leave me alone and just sell me the oil. Oil changes are as easy on the Duramax as on any gasser. I installed a drain valve in place of the oil pan drain plug so now it's even easier. I also recommend a second fuel filter, because the LLY injectors are picky about the quality of the fuel (a 2 micron filter would be best) and they are expensive to replace.

You can reset your oil life meter by turning the key to ON but not starting the motor, then depressing the gas pedal fully 3 times within 5 seconds, wait for the reset message then switch the key to OFF. That should do it - enjoy your truck.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Thanks for the response ! It's about 3 degrees out today so I am going to let the Chevy Dealership do it one last time. Then I'll take over plus we are late Christmas shoppers..LOL we are starting today... Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz