Any reason not to use 10-ply tires?

...on a half-ton truck? I'll be switching from P-metric tires to LT's (lots more tread depth), and I want the stiffer sidewalls of a load range D tire, but all I can find are a few C's and a bunch of E's.

I have no intention of airing them up to 80 PSI (not sure my rims could even handle that) but I might go 55-60 PSI when hauling a heavy load or pulling a trailer. But mostly I'll just be driving around town empty and short hops on the highway.

They are about 10 pounds heavier per tire, but I don't think that's significant. Might affect high-speed braking...

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Other than a little more road noise and rougher ride it shouldn't hurt anything, and 80 PSI shouldn't be a problem for most any wheel. But have you looked real close a the load rating in the P-metric tires? Most 1/2 ton pick ups won't haul enough to over load them.

Reply to
Tim

Due to some specials going on, LT tires are cheaper than P-metrics, plus they have a lot more tread.

I'll be changing tire size from P255/70R16 to LT245/75R16, to get to a more common size and to hopefully gain a little fuel economy and snow traction from the slight difference in diameter and treadwidth. IIRC, the current tires are rated something like 2270 pounds at 35 PSI. LT's (load range C) will be rated the same but at a higher pressure, probably

45 PSI. That's plenty of weight capacity; I think they put that tire in load range C on 3/4 tons (a little light for that application, see below*) When I have carried heavy loads in this truck, the springs squat down a lot faster than the tires do.

I just wonder if putting E's on half ton truck will hurt anything as long as I don't think that magically makes it a one-ton. I don't abuse a 1/2-ton like I did my 3/4-ton because I don't want to break an axle (no big deal on a 3/4T), and I like having enough brakes to actually stop without fading out. :-) I can't think of any reason not to with E's if they are the same price.

*Once upon a time I had a Chevy C20 pickup, and I had to go to 9.50x16.5 load range E tires on the back because D's weren't quite strong enough. The truck came originally equipped with 8.75x16.5 8PR tires, which is way too light-duty for a 3/4 ton truck.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I know somebody who uses 18 ply airliner tires for demo derbys . They dont go flat with no air in them.

Reply to
None4U