Broken door springs.

My 84 Chevy 3/4 4X4 doors have springs that hold the doors open at some predefined detents. Both doors on mine are broken. Every junk yard truck of that era seems to have broken springs as well. Leading me to believe that the GM design is a weak one.

My friendly NAPA guy will sell me new hinges with the springs installed for ~$35. I'm wondering, given that I would like to fix the doors, are there better ways to go about this repair? I would rather put in a more robust fix.

TIA Tony

Reply to
Tony Nelson

I've had a 78 Chevy for about 20 years now, and the pins and bushings have gone out (causes door to not set when opened, swings back in) i've had a guy who does body work fix them for about 20-30 dollars. I figure 6-7 years of reliability for 35 bucks ain't too bad, but i've never heard of an improved hinge for the old trucks. if you do find one, let me know.

Good luck

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

J.C. Whitney used to market an improved spring for Chevy door hinges. Maybe they still sell it.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl