Leaf springs, axles, et all...

Hi all, I recently did a trade and ended up with an '87 Chevy K10. Engine is a 305 TBI, 4 speed with the 6.55:1 granny low gear (CH465)

According to the previous owner, the owners before him used it as a plow truck, with a 7' plow on the front. They apparently swapped the front springs out with 3/4 ton springs to hold the huge plow up. It's also got a dual shock setup in the front that I thought to be aftermarket, but apparently it was factory (RPO code Z75).

My questions are these: How many leafs (leaves?) are in 3/4 ton springs for these model years? Mine has 5 leaves in front and 5 in the back. Does this sound right? They said the back still had 1/2 ton springs.

If the fronts are 3/4 and the back are 1/2, then I want to replace the backs with 3/4 ton springs as well. If I can find some 3/4 ton axles with springs still on them, I may just swap the axles and everything, as it has 3.08 gears in it now (gag) and I want to replace the current

31" baldies with some 33" or 35" tires. Would be nice to get down to at least a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio.

How hard is it to swap out the axles/springs for 3/4 ton units? Direct bolt in, or do I need to get the welder out?

Thanks in advance,

Tony Kimmell Towanda, IL

To email me, put a "2" after my last name in my email address.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I have a '76 3/4T 4x4 with a DANA 44 in front and a 10.5" GM 14blt in back. Both have 4.10's. They are still in the truck with springs and all. If I keep the engine you can have the whole truck for $300. The body is shot(rusty and literally) as is the tranny. Basically, frame, T-case(NP203), driveshafts, DANA 44, 14blt, and whatever you want to strip off the body. Let me know if your interested. If you want it, we can work out you picking it up or possibly me delivering it.

Reply to
Shades

Where be you?

~KJ~

T-case(NP203),

Reply to
KJ

North-west Iowa...

Reply to
Shades

"Shades" wrote

is that near Towanda, IL?

Reply to
rnf2

Reply to
George

"George" wrote

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

It is such a comfort to know that I am not the only smart-azz in here. Inwood is a little under 9 hours, WNW, from Towanda.

Reply to
Shades
9 hours? a nice days drive :)

Thats about a 1/4 the length of the entire country here...

Damn, the states must be big... it's only 12 inches on the map from coast to coast. ;)

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

I AM IN MY ELEMENT!!! A GROUP FULL OF SMART AZZES!!! I LOVE IT!!! WOOHOO!!!

Reply to
Shades