Thoughts on current-era VWs?

Hi all,

After several years carless, I am facing the possibility of having to buy a car again.

I had several A1 Sciroccos, though an 84 that lasted nearly 20 years before giving up the ghost (my father finally drove it into the ground). I liked them, because they were fun to drive, oddly practical, and easy to understand and therefore fix.

I do not, however, any longer have the time to work on my cars. I have houses to take up all my free time now :-/ So I am thinking about buying either a new or very recent-model car, with some chunk of warranty on it.

Given that part of the reason for all this carifying is my wife's dog hobby, I am looking at small cars with verve on the road and space to haul things. So far, I have on my prospect list (in alphabetical order) the Audi A3, Mazda 3-5 (or Sport, depending on what year), and VW Golf/GTI or maybe Jetta wagon. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada (Toronto now, but we may move).

If I could find a Jetta TDI wagon, I might take it, although the car looks sorta bland to me. I'm contemplating a current-model GTI with 4 doors (which might force me to buy new instead, because they're mighty rare).

I am wondering what people who liked their old VWs think of the recent crop of cars. In particular, I'd appreciate any feedback on any of the following items.

  1. From what I read, the electrical system on the VWs still seems to suck. Is this true? How bad is it, especially in terms of predictability and quick field repairs? The A1s had electrics worthy of British Leyland-era UK cars, but most of the time you could tell you were going to have a problem before it left you stuck at the side of the road. If you _couldn't_ tell in advance, you could usually bodge something together that'd get you home.

  1. The VWs I have lately driven, except the GTI, seemed kinda heavy on the road. Even the GTI didn't give me that feeling of "knowing" the road that I used to get from my A1s. Is this me being out of touch with driving, or have the VWs become more "refined" (i.e. "boring")?

  2. Is hoping that warranty service and such like will save me time, money, and aggravation over an old car I can actually fix just wishful thinking? Some VW dealers have a nasty reputation. In my line of work (I'm a geek), I have worked with "service providers" (pronounced "eye bee emm") that force you to let them do something, and then get you to do it over again for them so that it works. If dealer service and the like is just a way of causing me extra grief, I'll rethink my plans.

  1. Are current-era VW fuel economy ratings telling anything like the truth? The 5 cylinder engine seems to me rough, kinda noisy, and really thirsty for such a small car. The 2.0 turbo isn't too bad, but it requires premium fuel.

  2. Experience with turbochargers suggests to me that both the turbocharger design and manufacture as well as maintenance are critical to the longevity of the part. Since every TDI has one, and the current GTI engine has one, comments on the design and manufacture, as well as what to look for in maintenance records on a used engine, would be most welcome. (I have always avoided buying turbo engines because of the danger of getting a poorly maintained one -- I have never bought a new car in my life, and it goes against the grain -- so I'd be especially interested in comments on the sort of things people sometimes do to cover their not terribly good maintenance histories.)

  1. One of the things I liked about the many VWs I owned and worked on for friends is that they always broke in the same ways -- every one had crappy electrics, seals always failed around the same time in the same ways, the flex pipe behind the exhaust manifold always cracked, &c. Is this failure consistency still true? (I'd like to hope that _different_ things fail, although given human nature that might be hoping for rather too much. I just mean, if you have a given-era Golf, do they tend to break in the same ways all the time about the same milage, so you can be prepared for it?)

  2. If you have owned several VWs, do you still like them? Would you buy another?

Thanks very much to anyone who made it this far, and responds!

Best, Andrew Sullivan Tranna remove the bell to reply by email

Reply to
Andrew Sullivan

We have owned many VWs over the years from my way-back-when dual-carb fastback to our present 1999 VW Winnibago camper. We have, for all but a very few years in the last 30 always had some sort of VW in the inventory. But, and for the record, the last VW we ever purchased as a daily-driver was a 1998 VW New Beetle diesel, and that left the fold in 2005, after we got grandkids and it became simply too awkward to manage a two-door vehicle.

Since then and mixed in, we have had a variety of Volvo, Saab and Mercedes vehicles. When it came time to replace the Beetle (my wife's car), she did not even consider a VW, but went directly to a Saab 9-5

3-liter LPT wagon. It gets respectable mileage on the highway (30s highway at 65mph), is built like a tank, safe as can be and can haul a full size washer or dryer (and it has, both). I went to a Volvo XC70 (my job requires that I drive in wretched weather), not quite so respectable mileage but it too can haul, is safe and is built like a tank.

I also looked at VW equivalents, got stopped by a "requirement" for premium fuel, poor interior fit-and-finish, noisy mechanicals...

Were it not for our Camper (the third in a line of campers), we would no longer own a VW. Nor do I see us going back in that direction any time soon unless VW has a major epiphany and gets with the QC to a much greater degree than it appears now. On the other hand, with our past VWs, we had a good dealer who did good work at fair prices, VW Corporate handled out-of-warranty issues (such as shattering side windows, ten-times-failed (really) electric window buttons, 2 x failed turbo and so forth) with grace and speed, no arguments required. But that, too suggested that we look elsewhere when the need to replace came along.

On the plus side, the Camper (VR6 engine/4-speed Auto) gets excellent mileage (20+/-mpg on a trip from PA to Mississippi, similarly PA to Maine), runs like a top, is easy to drive, gets out of its own way and is quite comfortable for two people and two dogs. It eats fuel-pump relays, but at $9 a shot we carry spares. Yes, VW checked the wiring... "They fail" they said. Airbags, traction control and ABS help as well.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have owned VWs for years. I have owned a couple of air cooled Beetles, brother owned a 66 Squareback, friends and neighbors have owned Beetles that I worked on. I owned two Rabbits and I worked on another 3 Rabbits. I own a 2003 Jetta TDI. A friend owns a Passat wagon with the 1.8T. I only have 170,000 miles on my Jetta. The friend has not worn out his tires yet on the Passat.

I do not believe that VW has horrible electrical issues. They had some issues but nothing that I considered horrid. Granted I only kept my last 4 VWs for at minimum of 100,000 miles up to with ending mileage as they left my stable at close to 300,000 miles so my electrical woes might have been right around the corner.

VW's in the NA market are not 2,000 pound cars any more. It is hard to make a 3,000 pound or more car feel lightweight when you do not have a torque laden V8. That said I liked how the 1.8T drove before I got the TDI. I did test drive a Jetta5. The rear suspension feels better than my Jetta wagon suspension.

All of my warranty work was done ok. That said my 1987 Toyota has never seen a dealer service bay. I did have the transmission bearings replaced and it did blow out an ac hose. I replaced a water pump, but still on the original alternator. I did replace the air flow meter. That truck only has 270,000 miles on it.

Some report sticking parts in the turbos. Penetrating oil to loosen them back up works sometimes. All VWs that have turbos like TLC regarding oil. Some insist on synthetic oils, other just want good oil changed regularly. You have to pay attention to what VW specified because many users do not, many Jiffy Lubes do not, some dealers did not.

If you bought a TDI you might expect to replace an air flow meter for certain models seemed to have a bad design. Some require extra special oil you cannot find at Walmart or other big box store. If you are curious about the TDI then

is where you need to go to do research.

I have not been turned off from VW in 30 years. I would buy another one based on how the 2003 has treated me. It is quieter than the 84 GTI. It gets 50 mpg while the GTI only got 33. It has more room and is more comfortable. It is safer if I ever suffer a crash.

Is the VW superior. No, I happen to like them and they had an engine that met my needs. I will consider other cars but my 2003 is not scheduled for replacement for at least another 5 years. Maybe the engine will be broken in by then.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I loved my 1970 Beetle and I love my 2002 Beetle. They are very different cars, but I have been very happy with both.

I find it hard to say much about reliability. My girlfriend has a Toyota and I would guess we both have about the same number of problems. Both makes are very good in my opinion. Modern cars require far less maintenance and are far more reliable than the old cars. There are differences and VW may not be at the top when it comes to problems, but I have not been disappointed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I heard something on the radio last night. I do not recall what station but the perceived quality of American cars by some is not accurate. Defects and QC are supposedly pretty similar amongst all car lines. I don't know how true that is. I do know a friend bought a new Volvo a few years ago. They kept complaining about problems with the car. Some electrical issue like not being able to start and locks not working. They still drive the car so maybe they worked those issues out.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Like you I have not seen any really solid data. I doubt if it really exist. What I have seen has real problems. That does not mean it is not accurate, but it also means it may not be accurate. For example, if people who buy a Cadillac expect every little thing to be perfect and tend to return the car for a correction of a dirty rear window, and if the typical Chevy owner lets little adjustments and maybe a burned out lamp go and fixes them himself, the Cadillac may rate poor and the Chevy coming off the same assembly line may rate high.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I heard that but it was based on JD Power surveys which are crap. They only measure "initial quality" they can't asses the longevity or reliability of the car, which is traditionally why I have chosen VW.

I bought a GTI new in early '02; my mom still has it and it still looks/runs/drives nearly new. You can't do that with an American car. The vehicle it replaced was an '86 Golf that was finally starting to nickel ande dime her to death - at 20 years and several hundred thousand miles. It still was saveable but starting to get a little bit rusty from too many Pennsylvania winters. You can't do that with an American car either. If nothing else you'd be sick of the POS before it wore out.

That said, I'd far rather have a "brand new" '81 Scirocco than any vehicle in VW's current lineup.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have a few customers that got tired of their American car after

300,000 miles and water pump or two. They just bought another one. My 2003 does not drive like new at 170,000 miles. It needs new shocks/struts. That is on a car that is in a smooth road state. Other than the shocks it still works fine.

While I liked my 84 GTI as it felt light and zippy, I do like quiet and zippy enough. The TDI certainly does not handle like a car 1500 pounds lighter. It also does not get up on three wheels wen you approach the edge of handling. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. It is kind of funny driving a three wheeled car though.

My friend has a Ford pickup that will not die. It smells bad but I think that is because the catalytic converter is missing. It starts and drives. It is not a real old one, maybe less than 20 years old. It has 300,000 plus miles on it. I bet you can find people everywhere that have cars that keep going. Except for maybe Yugos.

Back to VW quality. As the saying goes, build quality is good enough. Some argue that the good enough maintains for a long time.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Thanks to the many well-balanced remarks in this thread! You've all been very helpful.

Andrew Sullivan yank bell to reply by email

Reply to
Andrew Sullivan