Burning E85 fuel in my 1999 chevy 6 liter

Would somebody please tell me what I would have to do to burn E85 fuel in my

1999 silverado 6 liter. I know that E85 burns cleaner. And that is makes more power. I have seen the conversion on a carb engine.(drill out carb jetts) And 1 gallon fuel tank for starting purposies only. Because engine will not start unless started on gas. You shouldn't have to do anything to the enjectors. Just add the one gallon tank for starting. I have been using 10% enthonal since the truck was new. has 190,000 miles and runs as good as the day I bought it new.
Reply to
Doug

6 liter?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Esssentially you shoud not run E85 in a vehicle not designed for it. Three reasons.

1) The fuel system plumbing needs to be stainless steel any Aluminum or regualr steel will eventuially corrode and clog injectors. This is due to the to the Alcohol being hydroscopic. 2) On vehicles that are multi fuel they have sensors to check for fuel alcohol content and alter the fuel air ratio and the timing depending on the fuel used. 3) Also fuel economy goes down basically because with E85 the air fuel ratio is much different more E85 is used for a given amount of air.

If you decide to do this you may want to check out some places that do conversions. At the very least you will need a new chip and you will definatly void any warrenty on the vehicle.

Reply to
not

Your almost correct, its got nothing to do with the fuel being hydroscopic, its got to do with the fuel itself being corrisive, and besides the stainless steel fuel lines, all "rubber" hoses have to be teflon lined, as it eats the rubber as well.

They also use "larger" fuel injectors, and the ECM runs on a different set of prams, as E85 contains more Oxygen than gasoline and will throw the O2 sensors reading out of whack.

There is no 'certified" conversion kit on the market for any vehicle at this time. As no conversion has been able to pass EPA emissions tests so far..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Add in that it is ILLEGAL to convert any vehicle powered by unleaded gas to a different fuel unless you get an EPA exemption or buy a kit with that exemption. DIY and you can get fined/jail time easily.

Reply to
Steve W.

if it is available here I will try it..

***
Reply to
teranews

looks like some one should have experienced their nick name.

I doubt seriously a general consumer would get jail time. A fine is possible, and the vehicle wont pass inspection. A mechanic working in a repair shop is another story in some states.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The way it looks to me even if a vehicle is factory equipped to run on E85 it will cost a lot more to use. If they sold E85 for $2.00/gallon it might be a different story.

Reply to
Bob

Steve W.

Brazil makes ethanol from cane sugar. There is a lot more sugar in cane than there is in corn so that is a significant advantage to keeping the cost down. I dread the change and welcome it at the same time. Old cars and trucks will be harder to get fuel and yet we need a leg up in this world when we are so dependent on the Arabs for oil.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl