S10 2.8 liter tensioner help needed

I have an 88 s10 with a 2.8 liter and have the heads replaced but now I have to strip the backets off the old heads and switch them onto the new heads. Here is the problem, the tensioner pully is mounted on the air pump bracket but over top of a bolt which releases the bracket off the head. How does it come off? The tensioner has a torx head bolt through the center of it, does this release it off the air pump bracket or will the spring sproing if I do it?

Reply to
<renorick

I would not recommend trying to disassemble any tensioners. Not a good idea. It?s been years since I worked on an S10 that old. But, you shouldn?t have to remove the tensioner to remove any bracket bolts. If I remember correctly. Have you tried using a tensioner tool or a ratchet with a torx bit and cheater bar to turn the tensioner to a point where you can get to the bolt? Just a thought. Is the bolt going to hit on the tensioner when you turn the bolt? If so, can you get at it with an open-ended wrench? If so, get the other bolts out, then just turn the bolt and pull the mount off at the same time. Just another thought. I don?t know I can?t remember having any problems removing any brackets on my S10 blazer.

Reply to
BadBow99S10

Yes and no. If the tensioner is not broke you can remove the center torx (I believe t-45) and the assembly will come off. If the tensioner is shot it will come apart when you remove the center bolt. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning