Buying a van...

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a new van some of these days, and it's probably going to be a Chevy or a Ford Econoline - 2+4 conversion with a large trunk.

Neither are available new right now where I live, but I could get really nice year- or two old one for well under $40.000, either brand, even though a Ford will be very hard to find, not many of those round here.

For that money I could also order a new Mercedes van with conversion, but I kinda like the U.S. type vans, even if the Merc would run for less gaso and definately outlast any other brand - I mean they often drive millions of km's with those diesel sprinters while my current Chevy Van already needs lotsa work after only 200.000km. BUT it has a great 5.7L engine and I've ripped off the catalyzer and tuned it a bit so it leaves any merc with their

3.2L diesels standing when I floor it.

I just love them big V8's so it's gotta be American not yer common Mercedes-bourgeoise crap :-)

But which way to go? I think I could also get a used ambulance-Econoline with the 7.4-liter V8 and build a conversion myself maybe, for even less, if I get lucky...but having a Chevy now, should I stick with Chevys...?

Reply to
DeeAa

Having owned full sized vans of both makes, I can tell you that it makes little difference. The big difference is that the 3/4 ton Fords have some stouter parts than the 3/4 ton Chevys. At least the ones I've owned.

The other thing I thought of concerns the ambulance you mentioned. Are you thinking of convering an ambulance because you'd like a 4x4 van? My understanding is that 4x4 works MUCH better on the Fords because of the geometry of the vehicle. It's simply easier to fit the transfer case and proper axles on the Fords.

CJ

Reply to
CJB