Chevy 350 will not start, cranks but then has grinding sound.

I have a '79 land cruiser with a 383 stroker, it is built from a standard chevy 350 block, and has a turbo 350 automatic transmission.

When I try to start it, it turns/cranks, wewewewewewe, but then has some sort of grinding sound, so it goes wewewewewewe-reeeeee-wewewewewewewewewe-reeeee and will keep doing that but will not turn over. It sounds like it could be metal on metal, but maybe not. It will not turn over. I have verified that it is not the starter by trying two new ones, since I was "sure" that was the problem.

I have verified that the battery has plenty of power...

I took off the valve covers and saw that the vavles did open and close, so I do not believe it is the timimg belt.

Would a bad tourqe converter or something to do with the transmission possibly make a grinding sound when the car is being started like that?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
TimG

If the starter is rotating and the engine is not, it could be a bad ring gear.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Nice combo!

Bad flywheel/flexplate/ring gear...whatever you want to call it.

Cool

mmmmm Motor does not have a belt, UNLESS an aftermarket belt system was installed on the rebuild.

See above...bad flywheel. About $20 at Advance Auto.

Reply to
Eightupman

.. I'm con fused........

it turns/spins but won't turn over.....???? but the valves open and close.....????

any whoooo.............

"IF" the motor IS turning........... got me....I ain't gotta clue.....I'm con fused.

"IF" the motor is NOT turning.....

Grab a handfull of crankpulley and turn the crank 45 degrees.......THEN....try to start it. "IF" not.....repeat the process untill you either git duh moder tuh spin with the starter, or untill you've made a complete 360 turning the pulley by hand.

(I would take the dust cover off the front of the tranny....but I got access to lift)

with good intent,

Scribs Abell ~~didn't cut & paste.....cuz he wanted ever body con fused ~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell