coolant

Does any one know where the radiator drain is now on some of the new auto's, cant seem to locate it on my '03 Envoy, its got close to 115 K on it and been giving a SES light, cant recall the code number, but guy at Advance seems to think the coolant is reaching it life and needs to be changed, made sense to me, but now, how to drain the raditor, cant seem to find the petcock like on the older ones, is it still there, or thanks to our wonderfull goverment regs. they had to remove it so the average Joe cant do his on minor work. Anyone got any ideas on how to drain it.

Thanks

Reply to
Craig M

"Craig M" wrote: "Does any one know where the radiator drain is now on some of the new auto's, cant seem to locate it on my '03 Envoy, its got close to

115 K on it and been giving a SES light, cant recall the code number, but guy at Advance seems to think the coolant is reaching it life and needs to be changed, made sense to me, but now, how to drain the raditor, cant seem to find the petcock like on the older ones, is it still there, or thanks to our wonderfull goverment regs. they had to remove it so the average Joe cant do his on minor work. Anyone got any ideas on how to drain it."

Look on the driver's bottom corner of the radiator. You will need a 1/4 extension to open it up. The old peacock valves are gone. With that many miles I would not even drain through the valve but just remove the lower radiator hose and change both upper and lower while at it. Also replace thermostat while it is down.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

Thanks Sarge, had not thought that far ahead, was not going to change them, but prolly well should, even though they look ok and feel ok. although it looks like a pain to get to the lower one on the engine.

Reply to
Craig M

There doesn't appear to be a drain, per se, on my 03 Envoy. The lower hose must be removed to drain the radiator.

Reply to
DonW

Motormite lists a drain plug for the radiator, its there somewhere.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

WhiteL my info comes from the GM Shop manual however that doesn't mean it's right. I haven't had any reason yet to look in detail for it.

Reply to
DonW

Well to add to the info, using the new code reader I got the other night, its showing a P0128, coolant temp below thermostat value or threshold, I think thats what the scroll read last night, thinking a stuck open thermostat.

Reply to
Craig M

Reply to
none2u