DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS ARE THEY WORTH THE BUCKS

I am not building a race truck, but with the type of drivers we have in Baja California I need all the brakes I can get. I am not pulling a load,I do need to replace the front rotors, so do I go with something like Power slot, slotted rotors and possible drilled rotors or save some money and by stock replacement. Also suggestions on type of pads. This will be going on a 2wd, 1990 chevy 1500.

This was one of the return e-mails from a company selling slotted rotors

Slotted reduce brake temps by 100-150 degrees Crossdrilled reduce brake temps by 200-250 degrees They are all premium rotors

Thanks for any input

Reply to
pedro

NASCAR and Road-Racing vehicles need slotted and cross-drilled rotors, you're vehicle won't see the brake temps. those vehicles do so don't waste ur money.

Reply to
Mad Dog

I would have to agree with Mad Dog, unless you are experiencing brake fade from extremely hard braking. I can't see the benefit for normal driving.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Reply to
smoove

Well are the diameter of the 22" tires larger than the stock tires? Probably not much so again there isn't a reason unless you over heat your brakes on a regular basis. But then I would recommend larger diameter rotors and multi piston calipers.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

If you have something like 5 spoke 22" custom rims you will certainly need super fancy drilled rotors, because that will look cool. Of course you will also need 6 piston red calipers milled from solid billet as well. :)

Reply to
Battleax

THIS WEBSITE GAVE A LOT OF INFO, AND WHERE VERY QUICK AT RESPONDING BACK TO ME ONCE AGAIN NO LOADS, BUT WHAT I AM THINKING IS IF I CAN PICK-UP 10 TO

20 % BETTER BRAKING UNDER EMERGENCY STOPPING THEN IT WOULD BE WORTH THE EXTRA COST. AS I SAID I NEED EVERY POSSIBLE WAY TO SURVIVE THE DRIVERS IN CABO SAN LUCAS MX

pedro

Pedro, I don't think you understand. Unless you are over heating your brakes it won't stop any better due to the rotors being slotted. The purpose of the slots or drilled holes in rotors is to cool over heated brakes. If your brakes aren't over heated it won't change a thing. If this would make street driven cars stop better don't you think they would come from the factory on a Corvette or a Mustang GT?

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Your NEVER going to make your brakes work so hard that your brake pads or going to GAS UP and require slotted and/or drilled Rotors to release that gas. The #1 reason for having them on street cars is for LOOKS! It looks good when you have a Wheel that's quite a bit open and you can see the brake system. It's also why some people also go out of their way to even PAINT there brake Calipers. If you want to stop BETTER, you need a Aftermarket setup requiring Larger Rotors and possibly larger Calipers depending on how much money you want to spend.

Reply to
JBDragon

I had a 96 Thunderbird rotors kept warping. I put on drilled rotors, no more warping. They were undersized for the weight of the car. Ford fixed them under warranty, but never admitted it was their fault. Tim

Reply to
Tim

THANKS GUYS, WHAT I GET OUT OF THIS POSTING IS GET STOCK BUT GOOD QAULITY ROTORS, SUGGESTIONS ON PADS FOR MAX STOPPING ???

Reply to
pedro

A set of high quality semi-metallic pads like Bendix or Raybestos brand.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Maybe if you would quit shouting at them they'd quit trying to kill you.

Reply to
David Kelly

Of course with 22" wheels you not only need slotted and cross drilled rotors but you need Brembo calipers. Everyone who admires 22" wheels will think you a dweeb if they see stock brakes in your wheels. Has nothing to do with performance but everything to do with style. Thats why you have

22" wheels, right?
Reply to
David Kelly

WHAT ARE THE MAIN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN metallic pads,semi-metallic,ceramic pads ?? how are they best applied

Reply to
pedro