Fan clutch causing heating of engine?

I have an 03 silverado, 4.8 V8( just got the 36, ooo mile service done by the way) I drive in hot weather (100-115) very frequently, and notice if I'm in traffic and with the a/c on very low ( dial 1-2) the engine starts to heat up ,I know its normal, but it heats up very quickly, which brings me to wonder why other cars beside me can go on driving like nothing, for an example, a 04/05 ford f-150 truck was beside me and dude was comfortable with his a/c on, mean while I had to turn my windows down and submit to the heat and the ford , so i figure since my truck has a fan clutch and not electric fans(which seem to work better in hot traffic), if it is possible for me to put some electric fans on my truck and if so is it very diffulcult to do so, considering that the new 05/06 silverado/sierras have them, so getting them I think wont be a problem

Reply to
jmex

I'm sure it's possible to fit electrics to it but to me it makes more sense to just fix whatever is wrong with it. Sounds like it might need a new fan clutch or a new radiator. Try spinning the fan by hand when the engine is OFF and things are warmed up. If it spins easily you probably need a new fan clutch.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

--SNIP---

Don't know where you got this idea but it's wrong. A good factory clutch fan will do the job. Take your truck to a good radiator shop and have the fan tested. They have a special tach they can test the clutch with.

Logic should tell you the truck got this far with whatever Chevy put in it, something changed.

Al in Tucson where it's really hot!

Reply to
Big Al

GM puts different levels of clutch fans on the SUV?s depending on the package. There is not one fits all. It could be a combo of clutch and fan itself. My 2000 K3500 came from factory with a HD cooling system with a 10 bladed fan and a very agressive clutch. It never even hits

200 on even the hottest days stuck in traffic and A/C works fine too. In really hot weather you need a very agressive fan that will pull a lot of air at a idle if you want good A/C performance. A electric fan could be used to augment cooling at a idle but it would not provide anywhere near the airflow that a engine driven fan can when engine is above idle speeds.
Reply to
SnoMan