electric vs. clutch fan

Hello,

Anyone have first hand knowledge or know of any good reference as to which method of cooling works best between say Dual 16" SPAL electric fans or a GM HD fan clutch along with GM fan shroud and 6 blade clutch type fan (similar to OEM). Radiator size / type not a factor....same radiator for both setups.

I want to know which type fans work the "best".

Truck in question 1992 K 1500 with 350 engine, A/C, auto trans.

I've read any number of articles saying electric fans work better, and I've worked on (yrs ago) some of the GM vehicles that actually run cooler with the A/C, because the electric fans stay running.

Bottom line.... Would a dual 16" electric fan setup perform better than a GM fan clutch setup.

Conditions are ...basic road use and some 4*4 off road use.

Looking to hear / read comments from those who may have first hand knowledge or experience with this.

I don't care about flex fans or other aftermarket fan clutchs.... If its a fan clutch and I own a GM product I buy a GM fan clutch. Flex fans to me are a waste of time for anything thats a daily driver with A/C... look out if you have to idle long.

Ok there you go...you have my ? Looking to hear what others have experienced.

Thanks, Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

GM fan/clutch.

Seems aftermarket radiators make the most differance.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Yeah,

I would agree....I'm considering a good aluminum radiator.

May buy the radiator first to see how it works and then make any changes after I install the radiator.

I've seen some nice radiators...from becool, griffin and another place I found Ron Davis radiators.

Most of the radiators for my truck (aluminum) cost $550 or more. Guess you get to pay some good cash for aluminum.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Re: >"Anyone have first hand knowledge or

------------------------------------------- Do you have a cooling problem.If so I would locate the cause and correct as necessary before laying out big bucks on a custom system. The subject of electric +/or mechanical fan is discussed in Moses Ludel's "Chevrolet+GMC Light Truck Owner's Bible" G.M.Part No.12363286

-Seems to cover the subject quite well. Best...Brian O.

Reply to
Brian Orion