Fluid Equivilencies.

Hello Group,

It's been a while. I'm still alive if ya care, but I'd suspect you enjoyed the absence. I'm back again with another non-sensicle question.

What fluids on my 1990 GMC FS Jimmy (or any/most other vehix) are "interchangeable" with each other?

My father says that in a pinch for say ATF can be used as power steering fluid, and vice versa.

Any truth to this? Any other ones? Like could you run a diff on motor oil if it was "do or die". Stuff like that.

Just something I always meant to ask the group but could never remember too...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

That much is true. In fact, bottles of the stuff used to be marked as both IIRC. I don't know if you can still do this in all cases or not given how new fluids with seemingly different formulations have come out.

Dunno. Never heard any others.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

ATF and PS fluid are more or less interchangeable. Brake fluid is not interchangeable with anything.

Anything less than 75W90 in the rear end and she'll grenade.

Used coolant makes great margaritas.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

See I would expect that to a point. Not rolling out of the woods after punching a hole in your diff cover though. Thanks for the input.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ