Headlight Replacement...1995 Silverado Z71

Headlight went yesterday on my 1995 Silverado Z71 5.0 and I am going to replace them both.The ones that are in it weren't very bright so I was wondering which brand ect. I should replace them with.I don't have the owners manual and I need the instructions on replacing and re-aligning the headlights.They are alot different than my 1988 GMC Sierra 4x4 SLE so I havn't a clue.Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated....THANKS

Reply to
benick

benick

Hello Benick,

If they are the composite headlamps (hi-beam separate from lo-beam but in one assembly), they are held in place by two long (~6") bolts -- using a

3/16" socket, pop the hood, look for the bolt heads above the grill (they may be recessed or exposed), remove the bolts and carefully remove the headlamp assembly. Don't use a screwdriver or you may crack it.

The hi-beam is towards the center of the vehicle and uses a 9005 halogen bulb (do not touch the quartz part of the bulb with your fingers! If you do, clean carefully with isopropyl alcohol) -- depress the two small clips on the socket, then twist, then pull off the blades of the bulb. Remove the bulb, replace and do the reverse of above to reassemble.

The lo-beam is away from the center of the vehicle and uses a 9006 halogen bulb. Disassembly/reassembly is same for hi-beam.

The bulbs are not interchangeable -- key on the bulb/socket prevent it.

Over time, incandescent bulbs slowly dim due to "sublimation." Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

I forgot to add: no realignment is necessary. If you do need realignment, you will need a Torx socket (I forgot what size) but before you start, spray the alignment gears with a penetrant, wait several minutes, then spray again (do not get spray into the reflector area, cover the bulb opening with duct tape). Work the gears loose slowly and gently before you really start turning the little suckers.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Reply to