Overdrive Do's and Don'ts

Some people say they use OD all the time others like myself only use it on the highway.Is it ok to use it in 4x4?on back roads or around town?Does it matter?The more people I ask the more confused I get.My 1988 GMC Sierra 4x4 has 250,000 miles on it and NO problems so far.Just bought a 1995 Silverado with new rebuilt tranny.Truck has only 95,000 miles and I really want to treat her right so I thought I would ask the pros. Thanks for any advice...

1988 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 5.7 1995Chevy Silverado Z71 5.0
Reply to
benick

Leave the shifter in D for all driving (2wd, 4wd, on-road, off-road, etc.) except heavy hauling or towing, during which I'd leave her in third.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Please clarify: [D] or D?

Reply to
René

He mentioned he'd put it in 3rd, or D, when towing or hauling, all other times would be in [D] then, based on your understanding of the shift sequence. I can see the fog on his statement, my 94 Jimmy had PRN[D]D21, my 2000 S-10 has PRND321

Reply to
Mike Levy

Gotcha.

Same here.

Reply to
René

I put mine in OD (1.47:1) for regular driving but if I tow anything, I put it in D (1:1). I have an '89 silverado with the TH700R4.

davemeek

Reply to
zzz

Actually, isn't OD .47:1?

Reply to
Mike Levy

My bad; been driving 3-speeds too long! Mike was correct, by D I meant [D] and by third I meant D.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

No it's 0.7:1 if it's a 700R4, 4L60e or a 4L80e with torque convertor locked.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

OD is 0.69 : 1, Braniac

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I thought I read somewhere the ratio was closer to 1.47:1 (1 being the crank, and 1.47 being the driveshaft) BUT was way off!! "The 700R transmission's principal new feature was a 30% overdrive. It also sported a lower first gear of 3.06:1."

So, you are correct Don the final drive ratio in OD is in fact .7:1 or 30% overdrive.

davemeek

Reply to
zzz

Not according to the GM spec sheet for the TH700R4. Don is correct. First gear is 3.06, second gear is 1.63, third -OR- drive is 1:1, and overdrive is

0.70

sorry.... Braniac

Reply to
zzz

Reply to
benick

so shoot me over 0.01

GM is 0.70, Mopar is 0.69 in OD

both of which are a long way from 1.47

Reply to
TranSurgeon

actually, if you do the math, 0.7:1.0 is 1.428 overdriven, not 1.300

'30% overdrive' is a mis-statement, engine RPM drops 30%, but driveshaft speed is 1.428 of engine with TC locked in 4th

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I had a healthy chuckle when I read in one of the above posts that D was 1:1 and [D] was 1.47:1. Always nice when overdrive is numerically HIGHER than third............................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yeh, I *was* completely backwards on that wasn't I... oh well...

Dave

Reply to
zzz

And, if you do the math the other way, 1.47:1 is very close to .69 final ratio.

correct. First

Reply to
Badger