HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

We moved from Florida to NE Washington state and this is my first REAL winter. I own a '07 Chevy 2500 silverado diesel truck. As hubby recently passed away, I'm trying to learn whatever I can about it...especially what I need to do in cold weather. I've been unable to find the diesel supplement but have requested another.

Question: When do I plug in the cord. I'm retired and don't use the truck everyday. Yet, when I want to use it, it's often a spur of the moment thing. Do I need to plug it in 4 hours before using? Would it be a problem if I just left it plugged in for days at a time? Before reading the owner's manual, I hadn't even realized that I was supposed to plug it in and I've been using it with no starting problems. Might this have hurt the engine??

Appreciate any information and suggestions. Thanks!

Sandy

Reply to
sandy

It is just a block heater to keep the temp up to ease starting. You can leave it plugged in at all times. I am not sure what temperature it maintains, but I would at least run it until you get into warmer temperatures. There should be no harm done to the engine, This is not a real cold climate you are in.

Reply to
Certainly

It is just a block heater to keep the temp up to ease starting. You can leave it plugged in at all times.

** Just remember to unplug it before driving off :)

I am not sure what temperature it maintains, but I would at least run it until you get into warmer temperatures. There should be no harm done to the engine, This is not a real cold climate you are in.

** Not sure why this message is not quoting correctly, so my comments are marked with **

John

Reply to
John

I have a 2004 Duramax, I've went through 4 winters now without plugging my truck in. I even started it in 0 to -5 degree days without any problem. Just go out and turn on the switch wait for the symbol that looks like a coil to go out and crank it over it should start right away. If it doesn't start turn off the switch and try it again repeating what I described above. If you are having problems with it starting, your glow plugs might not be working. My glow plug controller went out earlier this year and my truck would not start when it got down to 10 degrees. Plugging it in is O.K. but leaving it plugged in for several days may get a little expensive on the electric bill.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Adams

The manual for my '06 (I think it's the same engine as yours - an "LBZ") says to use it for 4 hours before starting when the temperatures drops to 0F or colder. I've read several instances of people not using it down to -20F without any problem. For spur of the moment type of driving, I probably wouldn't use it. Like Doug Adams mentioned, turn the ignition key to on, wait for the glow plug indicator light (looks like a curly-que or spring) on the dash to go off, then start the engine. I usually let it idle for a minute or two, then drive with a light foot on the accelerator until the temperature guage starts to move (usually about 2-3 miles at 30-40 MPH when it's around 30F-50F), after that it warms up to the normal operating temperature quickly.

I doubt you have harmed your engine by not using the block heater. Just be sure not to press down on the accelerator too hard while the engine is cold, about the worst thing you can do to a diesel engine is give it too much fuel while the engine is cold.

The only draw backs I see to leaving it plugged in all the time is the hit on your electric bill and maybe the block heater only lasts for a certain number of hours before it wears out, therefore using it when you don't need it may shorten it's service life.

Reply to
Ed H.