how tough is it to do a hybrid-ectomy?

I'm not impressed with the silverado that I just test drove- but the price is pretty inviting. the hybrid crap makes this vehicle a loser compared to my present silverado

so can i take this extra crap out of the hybrid??

Reply to
derek sollows

If you have enough money you can do anything. The electric motors are internal to the tranny, the control system is intergrated with the fuel management system and ecm as it will run on battery, engine or combination, not to mention it can cut out cylinders if they arent needed. Not that I am hyped up about hybrids, but what exactly is it about it you dont like since GM is adding to its hybrid models? Fuel mileage rating for highway wasnt that much better than non hybrid, but the city mileage was pretty impressive for a full size truck.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That's the - um - allure of hybrids. City driving is much better. Peopl who drive mostly city swear by them.

However, highway driving provides little to no mpg gain over any other car/truck.

Reply to
PerfectReign

In this particular case I will agree with you. But in the case of the cars out there, there is an increase in highway mileage over thier non hybrid counterparts. Its just not as great as Toyota/Honda were claiming in the beginning. Honda Civic gasoline rated at

34 mpg highway vrs 45 mpg for the hybrid model. which in reality is 32 mpg gasoline, 40 mpg hybrid. IF Chevy could come out with a comprable system on say the Malibu, Cobalt, or better yet for me, the HHR Panel and it was dependable I would go for it. But then I drive on average 43,000 miles a year. That would save me about $1,200 a year in gasoline. My biggest issue is no body is discussing what we are going to do with all the batteries when they croak. Typical look at today, and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. It's not like asbestos when it was being used and no one knew the hazzards.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

the points that did not impress were 'subjective' but here they are:

in 20 minutes of city driving the engine stopped only once - and then only for a few seconds. this cannot amount to any measurable saving of fuel

the engine size is larger than my 4.8 and I speculate that this is because the truck is hauling significant extra weight in batteries

the use of 'coasting' to recharge the batteries has the effect of a Jacobs Brake. It IS an alternative to using the brake pedal if you want to slow the vehicle - but sometimes I like to coast with the throttle off. In this truck I will need to maintain a little throttle in order to coast - which cannot be cheaper on fuel.

those were the only points - but I would point out that no one trusts 'mileage ratings' AND that the GM reps at a major HVAC trade show in Toronto a couple of years ago (where they were showinhg these off for the first time) really soft-pedaled the likihood of any significant savings in fuel.

likewise the GM sales guy the other day was skeptical of savings, suggesting that I "wait a year or two for the new diesels that will 'replace' these hybrids". The dealer is basically 'dumping' this vehicle

- and with a payback of 14 years on machinery that will inevitably die sooner than that - the true payback period becomes NEVER. So perhaps these GM guys are just being honest about a failed experiment and looking to cut their losses

Reply to
derek sollows

Good point about those batteries. probably a factor in the looong payback numbers

derek sollows

pretty sure that GM never marketed this hybrid as a huge fuel savings, more for the 4 dedicated 20a 120v receptacles that are available in the bed, more for a contractor than for a the average person

Reply to
Troy Sigwing

IIRC engine has to get up to normal temperature to meet emissions by warming up the cat so that might explain some of the running. The engine is the 5.3 which is standard in the extended cab 4x4 trucks. Its only slightly larger than the 4.8 and a more refined engine and gets within .5 mpg of the 4.9 even without the hybrid. Its a 'mild hybrid' so it only has a few batteries, that box under the back seat is it, about as much as a fiberglass tonneau or cap so not much more weight at all. Its not a failed experiment, that same hybrid technology will be in the full size suv's soon. I'm hitting 20.5mpg from a 2004 5.3L extended cab 4x4 and 17 city, I'd like to see what it would do if I had the cylinder deactivation and hybrid tech.

Reply to
Eugene

The hybrid Silverado is what it being called a 'mild hybrid'. It only does the zero engine idle and does not move the truck under battery power. Therefore there are much less batteries, just whats in that box under the back seat, so your not looking at all that big of replacement cost. I've seen server room UPS's with more batteries.

Reply to
Eugene