How much is it to rebuild a Turbo 350 transmission

My transmission has got one last trip maybe . To the transmission shop. Its been making the zzzzzzz noise for a while. And its dropping in neutral really cold after I start it. Its been many years since I had a shop rebuild a trans. Am wondering what they cost now for a rebuild. Or a rebuild swap. I have a 82 Suburban with a T350 , No overdrive. Anything I should address during the rebuild. Thanks

Reply to
none2u

If you take it to the shop to them probably about $250. That's an estimate I got once. Also depends on your location

Reply to
GeekBoy

Reply to
none2u

I paid $175 in the early 90's...

~jp

n> I paid $375 back in the 80s, Thanks.

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Reply to
none2u

I feel your pain. $1000 is awful high for a rebuild. Are these "chain"-type shops (like Mr. Transmission) or independently-owned shops?

Like I said, I used to have a guy that did my TH350 for like $175... He also did a Dodge 727 for my van and as I recall I paid $185 for that. These were rebuilds "in the vehicle". I didn't take an unmounted tranny in for work. Just towed the car to the shop and 2 days later drove away.

I'd post on Craigslist immediately asking for a recommendations on a shop or mechanic that could do the work for cheaper.

~jp

n> I just got two estimates from very good shops. $750 to swap mine. And a

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Also, check on Craigslist for a used, working tranny. I found one here in Atlanta just now for $150. At least you'd be back on the road for a while.

Is the Sub 2WD? I don't know how much ground clearance you have, but I'm pretty sure I could change out the tranny in my Blazer without jacking it up. I'd need a tranny jack of course, which you could rent or borrow. A swap on a 2WD would be less involved--no transfer case to remove and fool with...

Just something else to think about. In the meantime you could do the rebuild on the old one. I know you don't have a shop, but you could still pull it off with a rebuild kit and a little time/patience. Or at the very least it'd buy you time to save for a proper rebuild if you don't want to tackle the job yourself.

~jp

n> I just got two estimates from very good shops. $750 to swap mine. And a

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

They are both independents. With excellent reputations. The cheaper one is

Reply to
none2u

They are getting more expensive to rebuild for some reason. You might do like I did and get a used one from a salvage yard.

Reply to
the_Host

Hey I know a Jon Pickens here in Yuma. You the same guy? Who in Yuma would do a rebuild on a trany for $175? Thats more the price of a filter and fluid change most places.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nope... I'm in Atlanta, originally from TN. Does he spell it J-O-N too?

I'm sure he's from the same bunch that came over before the revolutionary war. My mother recently told me that at Highland Games and Irish festivals, she gets strange looks from people who hear her last name. Apparently Europe was happy to be rid of us...

;-)

~jp

Bob La L> > I paid $175 in the early 90's...

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Reply to
none2u