Generic Question. . .How much $$$ for a new transmission?

I know this has probably been asked a million times. . .but I'm wondering what I should expect to pay for a new transmission? I am looking for a very inexpensive car, and I have found a number of cars that need a new trans. and most are selling for around $300-500. I would strongly prefer to find myself another 240, but there are a number of decent sounding cars in my area that only need a new transmission (an 89 Camery, a 92 Maxima, a 92 Town Car).

On the same note, are there any websites that anyone knows of that have rough estimates of what other various work might cost? Something like a brake line on a 92 Town Car, or front struts on a 240?

Any help is very greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jeff

Play roulette at the junk yard--less the $500. Get a shop to rebuild one--1500-2500 Factory referb ~22-2500

These are based upon my experence with Fords and rice burners, NOT VOLVOS. (I am very afraid to ask)

Reply to
Steve

decent, camery, maxima are we talking about real cars do up the Volvo (a decent car).

Reply to
John Robertson

We're talking about cars under $500.

But thanks for your unsought opinion anyway.

Reply to
jeff

If you are ready to spent hundreds of dollars on repairing a 13-15 year-old car, you would be better to spend it on a slightly newer car. $500 + $500 (or $1000 or more) will get you a better car. If the transmission is gone, you might also ask what else is going or gone. In my family there have been at least 5 cars over 10 years old with

300,000 km (180,000 mi) or more (1 with 550,00 km) with manual transmissions with no clutch changes or problems. I would not personally buy a car needing a "new" transmission unless I could change it myself.
Reply to
bob

I got a very used Volvo 240 1990 for my son for AU$1700 and with time and a little money its a SAFE clean car .Needless to say I dont go near the dealers .

Reply to
John Robertson

Agreed there, changing a transmission is no big deal for me and it can be a great way to get a nice car for a cheap price since transmissions are under $100 at the local yard here ($55 for a manual gearbox) but unless you can do it yourself, the labor can kill you.

Also while good Volvo transmissions are easy to find, some cars have rather weak transmissions so the junkyard units will more often than not have issues of some sort, if they're not the reason the car was junked in the first place. Beware of junkyard cars with straight bodies, particularly if the interior is decent too. There's a reason they're in the junkyard.

Reply to
James Sweet

i would advise to get a "junk yard" tranny, for a few hundred that is guarrenteed to work...slap that in and you should be fine.....i replaced (and blew out) my 1993 940t tranny for aprox $600...a few hundred in labor to have it installed, i was too lazy and did not have the shop / tools / lift to do it myself....it only took a few hrs to do.....once everything is "set up"...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^