how to vacuum test a 1997 5.7L engine?

I'd like to hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold of a 1997 chevy 3/4 ton 4-wheel drive pickup with a 5.7 L engine but it doesn't seem to have any port through which to do this. It is a two-piece manifold, the upper portion being plastic on top of which is the throttle barrel and fuel injection. How is this done these days?

The last time I did any vacuum testing it was 20 years ago and on a Datsun with a simple carburator.

Reply to
david

Just put a temporary Tee in a main vacuum source and remove when done.

Reply to
Randd01

Thanks.

Ah, but I can not find such a tube. All the connections to the manifold seem to be made through various modules containing sensors, switches, or valves. There doesn't appear to be such a simple "main vacuum source". I'm the kind who's often unable to "see the forest for the trees", though. The only real candidate I've found so far is the fat hose supplying vacuum to the brake assist. It's so huge I assumed there would be something smaller. Should I just funkup a Tee in that?

Reply to
david

There should be a line running to the Engine coolant sensor at the front of the engine one of those is the feed for the switch and will be fine!

Reply to
Randd01

WTF ?????

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Sorry if I went over your head. Maybe bringing it into a shop where someone could point it out for you would be best.

Reply to
Randd01
1) perhaps you could learn to include the post to which you are replying

2) then you can explain this 'vacuum line to the engine coolant temperature sensor' nonsense:

3) then again, you probably can't, since insults seem to be your stock-in-trade
Reply to
TranSurgeon

I didn't mean to insult anyone and I replied to the original poster at the end of the thread. I honestly thought he did'nt understand. Sorry!

Reply to
Randd01

. . ===== =====

9:18am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randd01)

I didn't mean to insult anyone and I replied to the original poster at the end of the thread. I honestly thought he did'nt understand. Sorry!

======= ======= All is forgiven.

Except for the lack of posting ediquette.

Learn to include the post you're reply'n to. So's we don't have to read the entire thread to figure out that you've pissed GG off and now you're try'n to make amends.

by the way......

Do all vehicals have this vac line running to the Temp Sensor that you told the OP about? jest curious.

~:~ MarshMonster ~is going fishing now.....plenty of beer, pipe is loaded with top grade aftermarket tobacco, the moon is full, the hook is baited....hope i get a bite~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

yeah, that's a hoot.....................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yes most vehicles have a water temp switch that has vacuum going to it. NOt sure how to include the post i am replying to i just hit reply. I'm on AOHELL! LOL!

Reply to
Randd01

water temp / vacuum switches went out with carburetors

modern engines have coolant temp sensors with WIRES

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Original poster was referring to 1997 vehicle.

Reply to
Randd01

what part of 'went out with carburetors' (1987 for Chevy trucks) is so hard to fathom ?

He's looking for an accesible vacuum port on a 97 truck

My first choice would be putting a 'T' in the line to the MAP sender, if it uses one; second choice, a 'T' in the line to the power brake booster.

You're NOT gonna find a vacuum line going to the CTS, and there are NONE of those Water-temp-to-vacuum switch things on any post 1990 GM engines

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I don't think there was a carbureted vehicle made since:

the late eighties?

Refinish King

PS I guess Marsh got his bite! LOL!

Reply to
Refinish King
86 or early 87 was the last of the carbed Chevy trucks

Reply to
TranSurgeon

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Original poster was referring to 1997 vehicle.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.dotcom (TranSurgeon) was pulling his hair and screaming.......

what part of 'went out with carburetors' (1987 for Chevy trucks) is so hard to fathom ?

He's looking for an accesible vacuum port on a 97 truck

You're NOT gonna find a vacuum line going to the CTS, and there are NONE of those Water-temp-to-vacuum switch things on any post 1990 GM engines

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ROTFLMAO

marsh ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@mindyourbusiness.com (Refinish=A0King)

I don't think there was a carbureted vehicle made since: the late eighties?

Refinish King

PS I guess Marsh got his bite! LOL! =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

that wuz almost too easy.

lmao

~:~ marsh ~sips his beer and gets his fillet knife out~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster