PING Ian (shiden_kai) or anyone else with access to this information

I'm helping a buddy from zr2.com install his OHC next Tues. He is also having overheating issues and it seems that his fan clutch isn't engaging, so we figure we'll replace the clutch. He's had the coolant flushed (by a GM dealer), he had the t-stat replaced before having that done. What size wrench do I need to remove the clutch from the water pump shaft? Is the serpentine system enough friction to keep the pulley from turning while un-doing the nut? I know there are GM tools for both tasks, but neither of us figure we'll be doing this again. The Auto Zone loan-a-tool program only has the wrenches (in 2 sizes, 1-9/16" and 2-1/4") for the Ford clutches. Is either one of these the right size? Would a pipe wrench fit on the nut?

Also, can you check on some document numbers for me? They're from the GM service info system and may relate to something I've noticed on my truck, curious what the text is. Document numbers are A000572 (Headlights dimming, flickering while driving) and A001661 (INTERIOR LAMP , HEAD LIGHT FLICKER - BATTERY COURTESY ELECTRICAL FLUCTUATION GENERATOR INTERMITTENT LIGHTS). These both relate to at the least a

2000 S-10 4WD.
Reply to
Mike Levy

Inline.......................

Just use an adjustable wrench with a LONG handle for leverage. The red handled one Sears sells work quite nicely.

Usually if you use a great big adjustable wrench and a BFH it'll pop, but some are on there pretty good. You might need a spanner wrench.

Both of the AZ wrenches are the WRONG size for the GM clutch fan. I wouldn't use a pipe wrench as you risk rounding the nut. Just use a big adjustable wrench. If you have an ARC or MIG welder, a sawzall and a drill press, you can make your own spanner using 1/8" flat iron for under 5 bucks (I did).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hmm, will have to see if either the guy that owns the truck or I can dig a big adjustable wrench out of a toolbox. If not, maybe a trip to Sears is in order. I think we'll use a large screwdriver to hold the pulley still, if it's needed. I'll have to REALLY look around, now I remember seeing a big adjustable wrench somewhere in the house...

Yeah, pipe wrench is too big to fit in there anyway. We'll figure something out, even if it means a trip to Sears...

Reply to
Mike Levy