Hydroplaning

I had the following e-mailed to me.

Any comments??

V.B.

An individual had a wreck a couple of weeks ago and totaled their

> > Lincoln Town Car. She hydroplaned on Hwy. 135 between Gladewater > > > &Kilgore, Texas. She was not hurt, just emotionally rattled! > > > > > > She learned a lesson I'd like to pass on to you. You may know this > > > already-but the highway patrolman told her that you should NEVER > > > drive in the rain with your cruise control on. He said if you did > > > and hydroplaned (which she did) that when your tires were off the > > > road your car would accelerate to a high rate of speed (which it > > > did). You don't have much, if any control when you hydroplane, but > > > you are totally in the hands of God when the car accelerates. She > > > took off like she was in an airplane. She is so thankful she made > > > it through that ordeal. Please pass the word around about not using > > > cruise control when the pavement is wet or icy. > > > The highway patrolman said this should be on the sun-visor with the > > > warning about airbags. > > > > > > The only person she found out who knew this (besides the patrolman) > > > was a man who had a similar accident and totaled his car. This has > > > to make you wonder if this is another reason why so many people > > > are dying in accidents. Be careful out there!
Reply to
vb

Seems odd that the car accelerated and took off like an airplane when it had no traction.

Reply to
Scott

scrape at nc dot rr dot com

Just two comments... 1) get off the chain email list and 2) it's pure hogwash. Even an idiot would have tapped the brakes at some point.

This email floats around every few months until someone starts it up again. A simple google search for some of the words in the "story" prove this to be true.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Reply to
Okie

The danger I see with cruise control is that if you are sleepy it can get you into a lot of trouble. When I get sleepy when driving I naturally lift my foot, but with cruise control the car goes on it's merry way. A friends family was traveling cross country when the wife was driving at night. She had cruise on, went to sleep and left the road, never slowing down. One died, all were severely injured.

As for slick roads, urban myths or not, I always want total control and cruise doesn't give me that.

Better careful than dead!

George Vigner> I had the following e-mailed to me.

Reply to
George Vigneron

funny thing, one winter after receiving the same e-mail I tried an experiment. I was going down the road while it was slippery from sleet so I put my cruise control on. I drive a 2wd pickup (only the rear wheels). well any how, I was able to go up and down most hills fairly easy, because I wasn't trying to over accelerate up the hills. the thing with cruise control is it keeps the wheels turning a certain speed. not to keep the vehicle going down the road at a certain speed.

Reply to
Mike D