lockup

88 c1500 w/ 700r4

I'm having a problem with the converter cycling in and out under light throttle. Everything is fine once I get up to about 40 mph on flat road. The tranny was rebuilt about 6 months ago ( it did the same thing before) TV cable is new and properly setup, and TPS has been swapped to no effect. Could it be the VSS? I'm hesitant to believe this since the speedometer seems rock-solid. The other possibility is that the previous owner modified something along the way...maybe I just need the chip adjusted?

Also, what about bypassing the computer for lockup. From what I've read internal pressure will only be high enough around 30 mph, so could I just wire it hot through the brake switch?

all help is appreciated,

John

Reply to
John Ray

Take it to the tranny shop that rebuilt it and have it internally adjusted. There are aftermarket lockup controls through JEGS.

Reply to
Shades

I believe the problem is a computer oriented thing. The converter locks up smooth when I rigged a manual switch from the diagnostic header. I read somewhere that 88-89 or so C/Ks had the min/max set to close in programming. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

John

Reply to
John Ray

was the solnoid for the convertor changed?

Reply to
polarisracer15

Not to my knowledge. I've noticed that by either dragging the brake slightly until I get up to about 40 mph or locking it up myself via the diagnostic header at the point when the computer 'tries' to start lockup, everything is fine. I'm thinking of getting a superchip with later lockup in the programming.

John

Reply to
John Ray

take it back and have them put a Transgo Sk-700-Jr. kit in it

this is a common problem with 700's in that the factory spring tensions in the VB cause this problem

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The problem is normal and you will find a speed where is may hunt some. It is not a pressure problem, it is the govener in tranny hunting for best gear when you are in the 35 to 40 MPH range under certain throttle conditions.

Reply to
TheSnoMan