Low Fuel Pressure - 96 Silverado w/ 5.7L Central SFI

My fuel pressure was 40-45 psi--supposed to be 60.

I replaced the fuel filter and now it's 50.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator - and it's still 50.

The fuel pump whirs as it's supposed to ~2 seconds when I turn the key to ON.

So I think the problem must be one or more of:

  1. Clogged strain at the fuel pump.
  2. Clogged fuel lines
  3. or the pump is too weak.

Could it be the fuel meter body???

That would be expensive, but I know I can change that. Accessing the fuel pump might be more than I can handle, but I'll give it a try if I have to.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance, Ted

Reply to
Ted

won't make a difference in pressure only flow

won't make a difference in pressure only flow

There's the winner But do a dead head pressure test to make sure.

Pump is easy IF you unbolt the box and set it back on the rails. No need to mess with the straps, wrestle with the tank or fight to reach the lines.

Check the harness connection on the truck side to make sure the pins are OK, when pumps start to fail they draw more current that can heat the contacts they lose their spring tension and cause problems.

Use a good pump as well. There are some cheap ones out there that work, but they might last a year! I'd rather pay twice the price for a pump if it means I don't need to touch it again.

Reply to
Steve W.