K1500 Fuel Pressure

I have a 99 K1500 w/ a 5.3L. What is the operating fuel pressure supposed to be? I was told be someone that is should be around 60-65 PSI and mine has tested at around 50. The reason I started looking into was that my truck doesn't always start right up, sometimes I have to pump the gas peddle to get it going. I have been thinking that it is either the pump or a regulator. If anyone has ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
CTCJH

Cam

Here is the correct fuel pressure copied from the service manual

When the ignition switch is ON and the fuel pump is running, the fuel pressure indicated by the fuel pressure gauge should read 379-427 kPa (55-62 psi). The spring pressure inside the fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure.

That is with the key on engine not running. Check the fuel regulator, pull the vacuum line off the regulator and then turn the key on and see if gas comes out the nipple on the regulator. If it does you need a new one might also want to check it with the engine running. I am always replacing them at the dealership that I work at. pretty high failure rate.

Kevin H

Reply to
Kevin H

Kevin, where is the fuel pressure regulator on a '99 Silverado 5.3l?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Adair, Driver's side of the engine in the middle of the fuel rail. It's the only thing on the rail with a vacuum line attached to it.

Reply to
Kevin H