Manual Transmission

Hello Group,

I have a '96 S-10 w/ the 4.3L 4x4 and a manual transmission. Sometimes when I take off from a stop it snaps out of first gear. Very hard in fact that sometimes it goes into second. It is totally random one day it did it three stop signs in a row and then didn't do it for 3 months. I don't get it. Anyways how hard would I be for me to rebuild the tranny. I have the shop manual and getting it out doesn't look that hard (knock on wood). But the shop manual doesn't show the internals of the tranny, so I really don't have a clue on what to expect. I'm sure there are manuals for this but I haven't looked for one yet. Was just wondering if someone here has done it before and how hard it is. I know what you are thinking, " Why don't you just take it somewhere", well since the truck is a '96 I looked at the Blue book value of it and it is only between 3100-5100 dollars and taking it someplace, I'm guessing would cost at least 1000 bucks right? So if it is going to cost this much I might be better off looking for a new truck.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

William C.

Getting it out is the easy part. If you haven't ever rebuilt a standard trans, I would suggest that you not attempt to do it. This is one of those "mechanical" repairs that very few "licenced" technicians are comfortable doing. What about finding something out of a wrecking yard? Sure you take your chances, but most yards will give you a 30 day warranty, enough to figure out if the trans shifts properly.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai
3 months. I don't get it. Anyways how hard would I be for me to rebuild the tranny. I have the shop manual and getting it out doesn't look that hard (knock on wood). But the shop manual doesn't show the internals of the tranny, so I really don't have a clue on what to expect. I'm sure there are manuals for this but I haven't looked for one yet. Was just wondering if someone here has done it before and how hard it is. I know what you are thinking, " Why don't you just take it somewhere", well since the truck is a '96 I looked at the Blue book value of it and it is only between 3100-5100 dollars and taking it someplace, I'm guessing would cost at least 1000 bucks right? So if it is going to cost this much I might be better off looking for a new truck."

They are not that hard. You will need a bearing puller to get bearings out. When installing new bearings make sure you only press on the outer erase on bearing and not on area where pressure will be placed on the bearing itself. Before you tackle the job check with local shops and see what they may charge for a bench job. You pull it and send it to them to be overhauled. I did this last year on a 4 X 4 since I did not have time to drop, tear down and rebuild before I needed it.

Get new clutch and throwout bearing before reinstalling. You will need a clutch alignment tool.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Do they still use a ton of needle bearings between the gears and the shafts? synchronizer for first gear has gone bad would be my guess. As to price and value of the truck. Its trade-in value is nada with that tranny right now. If the rig is paid off, and the motor runs well, why not put a grand into it?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I thought of that to. I can't seem to find one around here in Minneapolis, MN. If you know of a place let me know.

Thanks

Reply to
John

Thats what I thought I'd probably screw it up even more. I can just here it now, parts falling on the floor, "Oh ^*^%!!!!!" :) Can't seem to find a used one around here, I guess I'll keep calling around.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

Like I said I looked in my shop manual for it and taking it out doesn't look THAT hard and I bet it would be a lot cheaper if I just gave them the tranny. I did think of rebuilding the clutch since it is all taken apart. Any pointers would be appeciated.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

My truck is paid off, the only other things that are wrong with it are, it goes through coolant and I don't know where its going. Pressure tested it and can't find leaks and doesn't seem to be coming out the exhaust. But thats a problem for another day :) Also it has some rust on it which this summer I was going to take care of. Other than that it runs and drive fine.

Thanks for the input

John

Reply to
John

hell yeah try this trust me especially a truck that was on fire you can get parts realllll cheap,i got a

5 speed for out of a camaro that was burnt upto the no pun intented upto the firewall and the tranny was perfect condtion for 75 bucks
Reply to
William C.